Sunday, March 4, 2012

All Kids Do That Series

Months ago, someone started this great Twitter hashtag: #youmightbeanautismparentif where people shared things like "#youmightbeanautismparentif your son just licked you."

It took off and parents started sharing funny, snarky, and sometimes heartbreaking posts about life as an autism parent.

Well, occasionally, there have been parents of neurotypical kids who responded that these things were not autism specific, that all kids do that.

So, Jillsmo at Yeah. Good Times started a series in response to these parents and others who just don't get it. Here is what she says:

That kind of bugged me. And I'm really sorry to my friends who have said things like this, I hope you don't take this personally, and please don't apologize for it because I'm pretty sure you mean well, but the thing is... it's not the same. It may be a "normal kid thing" to constantly lose your jacket at school, but when my autie kid does it it's a completely different experience than when my NT kid does. And so I tend to get really defensive when I see people respond in that way.

So then I thought.... I shouldn't be getting defensive, I should be educating. After all, how much did I know about autism 10 years ago? I can't expect everybody to understand what we go through if they have no personal experience with it. And anyway, it's my (new) obligation as an autism blogger to inform and educate; after all, we change the world, right?

And that's how her new series started. Currently, there have been a dozen different bloggers who have weighed in on issues like "Picky Eating" (one of my favorites), "Driving," and "Hating School."

The series is great--educational and incredibly validating all at the same time.

So, I am honored that I have been included in this series. I'm up today at Yeah. Good Times. talking about worrying, about how the worries I have for Danny who has autism are significantly different and more obsessive than those I have for my younger two.

So, check me out....

1 comment:

Alicia (Dr. Mom) said...

this is really cool. thanks!