Friday, July 22, 2011

"Special Diets for Special Kids" review


Special Diets for Special Kids by Lisa Lewis is a must-have book for anyone interested in starting a gluten-free/casein-free diet. This book is teeming with recipes designed with kids in mind.

I have never read a cookbook that had quite so much information about nutrition and science. This book is for those whose kids are on a gluten-free/casein-free diet, and there is a whole section dedicated to why this sort of diet might be desirable for your child. It goes into how diet can help kids with autism and other special needs, and it details why cleaning up our kids' diets is so important.

What I liked about this book is it had some unusual sections, ones I think especially good for kids. There is a drinks section, as well as one on holiday food. Also included is a section of ethnic food, condiments, and dairy substitutes. I had no idea that you could make substitutions for evaporated milk, whipping cream, and sweetened condensed milk!

My kids are not on a GFCF diet, mostly because the prospect seemed so daunting to me. How could I eliminate both dairy AND gluten, when they are in just about everything? The author points that out, too. It's amazing how you can find these ingredients in things like spices and soup mixes--foods you would think are safe.

With over 200 recipes, this book has shown me that there are plenty of foods my kids can still eat and it has encouraged me to try out some changes to our diet. While I will in no way go cold turkey on casein and gluten (I just don't think I could handle that at this time), I am definitely going to make some small, sustainable changes and see how that goes.

If you are interested in learning more about GFCF diets and autism, or if you are just looking for some more recipes to sustain your GFCF diet, I recommend checking out this book! It includes a free CD of printable recipes.

1 comment:

Lyn said...

Great perspective! I love your positive attitude about an undertaking that does appear, on the surface, to be complex. I'd be interested in a follow-up someday on how your attempts to mildly modify your child's diet worked.

Lyn