Sunday, April 24, 2011

LEGO Social Club

If you've been reading my blog for very long, it's likely that you know how worried I am about Danny's social skills. There is one social skills group in our area, but it is over 30 miles away, which cost a lot in gas money and got us home very late on a school night. Also, I felt like Danny needed more in-depth help with social skills.

Over the last several months, I have thought and prayed and worried about this subject. Danny's biggest difficulty is in interacting with other kids and making friends, a difficulty that is only getting tougher the older he gets.

After writing a post for Hartley's Life with 3 Boys about LEGOs, I started thinking about how cool it would be for Danny if I started a LEGO social skills club. He is absolutely obsessed with those blocks, so why not use that to our advantage?

Shortly after this thought occurred to me, a friend forwarded me a website for the Center for Neurological and Neurodevelopmental Health, a center that just so happens to have started a LEGO social skills group, based on lots of research.

After contacting them, I discovered that though they are in New Jersey, they could provide me with training and certification through DVDs and the internet. The only catch? It would cost me close to $1,000.

I decided to forget the training and set up my own club, but my husband came up with an even better idea. He knew that through the Pepsi Refresh program, I could apply for a grant. I had only 24 hours before the application deadline, and we made it.

So, now starting on May 1st, I just need to convince every person I know and every person they know to vote for my project throughout the month of May.

Here's where you can help! I set up a facebook page for my LEGO club and would so appreciate it if you would like it. I will be sending out reminders and instructions on how to vote through that page. And if you're not on FB, never fear, I'll be posting information on my blog.

I don't want to inundate you, but I would be forever grateful for your help in this matter. I feel very strongly that this club will help not just Danny, but the other kids who will be involved, in ways that could potentially change their lives!

7 comments:

Sarah said...

You have my vote and admiration, Patty. Congratulation on take the first step!

Mama Pickles said...

I will be sure to post about it on my blog and Facebook. Good luck!

Lizbeth said...

I've 'liked' it, which I do. This is a great thing you're doing!!!

PS--look for YN, if that makes any sense. ;)

Diane said...

Terrific idea. I've "liked" it.

Lynn said...

I "like" it...what a great idea for a social group!

Heather said...

You've certainly got my vote! This is an amazing idea!! My son would be ecstatic to be in a group like this!!! Good luck :)

K- floortime lite mama said...

Well done
\I will write more as this is R's struggle too
But just love what you are doing
Oh and I will go like your FB page right away