Friday, March 25, 2011

Obessive much?


When my son, Danny was diagnosed with high functioning autism a year and a half ago, the doctor asked if he had any "special interests." I knew what he was asking; I had heard and read plenty about "passions" or "obsessions" or whatever you want to call them. I know they are relatively common among children with autism.

At the time, I couldn't really identify one specific passion of Danny's. And to be honest, I was a bit relieved to know that there was one autism criterion that my son did not meet.

Shortly after that doctor's visit, Danny discovered Legos, and our whole world has been engulfed in a cyclone of those pesky multi-colored blocks. To say that Legos have become Danny's "special interest" would be a gross understatement.

The kid is completely, 100% obsessed.

He talks about them, plays with them, reads about them and surfs the Internet to find more Legos to covet. His face lights up like a Christmas tree when he sees the Legos logo or hears someone talking about them.


I'm over at Hartley's today, so click here to read more........

1 comment:

Lizbeth said...

I swear I think they should make Lego's part of the evaluation critera. They have some kind of magnetic pull on Specturm kids. To say my son is obsessed with them is an understatement. He's gone through many interests but he always falls back on his beloved Lego's.