Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Happy Holiday Blogtastic Shout Out!

I have been blogging for over three years now, and in that time, I have discovered many talented bloggers. Some have given me some great insight into raising kids with autism or SPD, along with validation . Some blogs have given me hope, while others have provided me with much needed humor.

Surprisingly, I have even made some friends through the blogs I read. I never anticipated that years ago when starting out.

Outnumbered Two to One was one of the first blogs I discovered. I religiously checked Mrs. Bear's site to see if there was a new post because I couldn't get enough of her writing. She is the type of writer who can make anything interesting, even things like Algebra 2, T-shirts, and garden gnomes. Every post I read made me laugh; I could relate to so many things she wrote about like kids who embarrass you in public, clutter, and writer's block.

Between her great sense of humor and her way with words--I mean, really, isn't this sentence wonderful: "Because clearly that cockroach had developed a taste for human flesh and my face meat was on the menu"--I had become a huge fan of Outnumbered Two to One. More than that, I was kind of envious.

So many times, after reading her posts, I thought, "I so wish I could write like Mrs. Bear. I love the way she puts things. Her imagery is fantastic."

She was a blogger I admired from afar with a touch of awe. Kind of like the popular kids in high school, the ones who were so talented/good-looking/athletic you didn't think you could ever have anything in common with them because they were so cool, and you were so not cool. Know what I mean?

No? Well, just humor me, here.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered I was wrong; we actually have quite a bit in common. Things like a mutual dislike for the Twilight series, our taste in books, our desire to become published writers, and our propensity to get writer's block often probably fueled by our insecurities as writers.

I also discovered that not only is Mrs. Bear super cool, she is waaaaay nicer than the girls in high school who mocked me. And apparently, though I am so not cool enough, we have developed a cyber friendship, one that I really appreciate.

I wish I lived anywhere near her, though she might not appreciate me dropping by her house every single day. Because I so would, if she weren't a 3-day drive away from me. Luckily, reading her blog feels like you're hanging at the beach with her.

So, go check out Mrs. Bear at Outnumbered Two to One. You won't regret it, and you can thank me later. And after you discover the beauty that is Mrs. Bear, click over here to see her other blog.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For more Blogtastic Shout Outs, check out Recommended Daily Dose, where Kate is organizing a bloggy Secret Santa, but instead of soap on a rope, bloggers are giving out praise.


9 comments:

Kate said...

What a wonderful tribute! I got all goose pimply...I think as writers this is what we all aspire to do for others.

Thanks for participating. You're linked!

P.S. Under the wire...that's the way to really love, right?

Sprite's Keeper said...

DUDE! I LOVE Mrs. Bear! I am so name dropping when I say I actually got to meet her and she truly is one of the nicest (and snarkiest) women I've ever driven around Ft Myers. :-)
I did not know about the other blog though. MUST STALK...

Heather said...

Thanks for the shout out! I love being in this blogosphere too. It's been so helpful and I've found so many awesome people that just "get" me. It's amazing:)

Kate said...

Big huge sigh of relief...here is the completed Blogtastic Shout Out...
You'll find some great reads...or I'll refund your money!

http://www.recommendeddailydose.com/?p=7073

Jenni said...

Mrs. Bear is the best. I love her. I wish she blogged all the time.
Thanks for the link. Your blog is one of my favorite new finds this year;

Kate said...

Santa Claus is alive and well in the hearts of children who believe all around the world. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy.

~Happy Christmas and Merry New Year from our family to you and yours

@jencull (jen) said...

Thank you so much for including me in your shout out, really appreciate that and look forward to reading the other blogs:) Happy Christmas:) Jen

The Caked Crusader said...

I think a mutual dislike of Twilight is enough to keep most people together!!!

Denise said...

I wish we could cyber visit in person as fast as we can click to read blogs. But hey...if you lived to close to her I'd miss out ... BIG TIME!