Monday, October 18, 2010

Sensational Book


In honor of SPD Awareness Month, I thought I would write a review of a relatively new SPD book. I happened to win this book in a contest months ago when it was first published. This is Gabriel Making Sense of School is by Hartley Steiner (who also has a blog called Hartley's Life with 3 Boys) and her son Gabriel.

I have been meaning to write this review for months. Heck, I have been meaning to read this book for months. But don't misunderstand. The only reason I have been unable to read This is Gabriel Making Sense of School is because the minute it arrived in the mail, Danny absconded with the book and wouldn't allow anyone to peruse it. He read it and admired the pictures endlessly. Then, he must have hidden the book, because I could never find it.

Every once in a while, it would resurface, but Danny would again guard it jealously, and I was never allowed close enough to even turn a page, let alone read it.

This is quite an endorsement. Danny has never taken to a book in quite this way before. He loves books, don't get me wrong, but he has never been so possessive with one. Danny told me that he really likes the book and loves the pictures.

And I have to agree. This book is great. Though it is marketed as a kids' book, it is a perfect introduction to SPD for adults, as well. This is Gabriel Making Sense of School is about exactly what the title implies; the book outlines what SPD is and how it might manifest itself at school. Hartley explains very simply and accurately what types of challenges an SPD kid faces everyday at school.

It is easy to read, and Hartley gives such great examples of potential sensory land mines that I think are often overlooked, like the smells in the cafeteria and how distracting and possibly disturbing they can be.

I highly recommend this book. It is perfect for families with SPD kids, but it is also great for teachers, extended family members and anyone who you would like to educate on SPD.

Check it out! I think you'll love it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Disclaimer: I won the book in a contest. I was not required to write a review to win the book. I chose to review the book on my own, because I think it is a valuable resource.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

No offense, but I respect the endorsement Danny gave it even more than yours :). How awesome is it that he embraced something like this!

brotherlyloveejkp said...

I fully agree that it is a fabulous book. I bought a copy and keep it at my desk at work. I loan it to my families that are trying to understand the SPD diagnosis that their child just received. It's been a HUGE help! I showed it to my coworkers and a bunch of them went out and bought it too! All that being said, I also agree that Danny's endorsement says more than ANY of us can say:)