Saturday, August 14, 2010

Obsessive? Who? Me?


If you have ever read my blog at all, you know my son, Danny, has Sensory Processing Disorder and high-functioning autism.

What you probably don't know is that we highly suspect that Charlotte (Danny's younger sister) also has SPD. A different form than Danny's, definitely, but sensory processing issues up the wazoo.

So, yeah. Great news, huh?

We'll know for sure after her eval in September, but Danny's OT agrees that it is highly likely that the girl has SPD.

So, obviously, SPD and autism and other special needs are typically in the forefront of my mind.

Always there, lurking.

Always.

Maybe even more often than that.

Sometimes I get really sick of it, of the obsessing, and so I try to distract myself. At times this works. Other times, not so much.

It seems pretty futile to me, because you know, these issues are part of our lives and probably always will be. So it makes sense that I think about it a lot, right?

Right?

OK, well maybe there is a limit. Perhaps there is a point when it goes too far, when it becomes a bit of an obsession. When someone, say me, for example, possibly needs an intervention. Someone to tell her to get a grip and let. it. go.

When perhaps, just maybe, it is conceivable that this person is quite possibly thinking about special needs issues too much.


You know, hypothetically speaking, of course.

And I suppose if that were to be the case, there might be some indications, some signs, like say, when this person starts not just diagnosing kids she knows, but actually moves on to characters in books.

Yeah, that would be crazy, wouldn't it?
Or would it?
Tell me you have not read Amelia Bedelia and just KNOWN that woman has Asperger's Syndrome.


And David? Oh, c'mon! He totally has ADHD and possibly SPD with maybe some poor impulse control thrown in for good measure.



Fancy Nancy? Well she does walk on her toes quite a bit.





And really, don't you think that Curious George is just a touch overactive, even for a monkey?

Max from Where the Wild Things Are? Oh, yeah, Oppositional Defiance Disorder all the way, people. All the way.

So, I don't know. You tell me. Do I have a problem?

13 comments:

Sorbe said...

The only wise response I have is something a shrink asked me once....

"What do you think? Do you think you have a problem?"

But on the more serious side, sorry to hear about Charlotte. Hope that it turns out better than you suspect. Everyone that you know in Tucson is pulling for you guys.

Sarah said...

Have you ever seen the cartoon Max & Ruby? There is no doubt in my mind that Max has autism, (completely non-verbal). I think a case could even be made for Dr. Seuss, (just take a look at those "Hop on Pop" bears---).

As always, you offered a creative look at SPD/autism and yes, it is really easy to get consumed by all of it. But that is why you are such a great parent, Patty. You have found a way to balance the reality of it with some real humor---obsess on that for awhile :)

Alysia said...

I laughed and cried when I read this. Because, as you know, I do the same thing too. :-) I see it everywhere - at the playground, in books, on TV shows (loved that Max and Ruby comment above...I'm assuming Max doesn't talk because he has unresolved issues about not having ANY PARENTS AROUND EVER!! ;-) You are right on about Amelia Bedelia. Must be why my son doesn't think she's funny.
I hope by spotting things now with Charlotte that you're able to get her help sooner. I think that's one upside to having these lens on all the time - when there is an issue, we spot it and jump in to save the day without all the questioning and second guessing that comes with the first child.
Alysia

Stimey said...

Hysterical! LOVE this. I know EXACTLY what you mean.

Natalie said...

I don't see a problem here at all! I'm totally in agreement. ALL of those characters have issues and I've thought the same about them! :)

Natalie

Brahm (alfred lives here) said...

No problem, I read Amelis Bedalia (no kids, don't ask), and you are totally right! Totally!!!!!!!!

And yes kids books and no kids. I'm serious...

Sprite's Keeper said...

I'll never look at Amelia Bedelia the same way again.. :-)

Mrsbear said...

That Max kid definitely has some issues, but I don't think withholding food is an appropriate response. ;)

You are fine though. :)

Susan said...

True, true, true. Amelia Bedila I never thought of that.
I do this all the time too.
A series I am reading right now I labeled the main character with Asperger's Syndrome. in the first book, by book 3 they stated she did.:)

Jenni said...

I don't know if you have a problem, but it's hilarious!

Ginny Marie said...

I've noticed that Fancy Nancy does seem to walk on her toes a lot. It's just fancier that way!

Charlotte is lucky to have you, SPD or not!

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

Oh, this made me laugh! I've dignosed TV and book characters many times over the years. I'm sorry you have more to obsess over now with Charlotte. But you're the expert now; she's lucky to have you. And you're lucky to have such a wonderful sense of humor. If we don't laugh, and all that, right???

Elizabeth Channel said...

Ah hhhaaaaaaa! You are so funny (and so right). I missed the Fancy Nancy one! (So observant of you, I'm impressed!)

Sweet Charlotte...please try not to worry. You know what to do now, and you are so, so knowledgeable. All three of your children are so blessed by you, as are your readers.