Saturday, August 28, 2010

"You are entering a world of pain"

The Big Lebowski



Please excuse me if I am a bit fuzzy or incoherent in this post. I think I am suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, which according to wikipedia, is defined as "a severe anxiety disorder that can develop after exposure to any event that results in psychological trauma."

Oh yes, there was definite psychological trauma today.

It all began a week or more ago when I got an invitation via Facebook for an Autism Family Bowling Adventure.

Though I am well aware of the heightened noise levels at bowling alleys and the scuzzy shoes one is required to don, though I know there are many flashing lights and annoying little tunes emanating from the little arcade, and though I am cognizant that my kids are not the only members of the Pancake clan to have serious sensory issues, I readily accepted the invitation on behalf of my entire family. I really don't know what came over me.

Everything else is a big blur.

I vaguely remember Danny crying about having to wear shoes other than his own, and Danny whining about having to wait so long for his turn, and Danny sniffling because there was no pizza as I said there would be. And Charlotte, not to be outdone by her brother, joined in and cried because....well, I am not sure why. Maybe to show solidarity?

The rest is a hazy kaleidoscope of bowling balls stuck in the lane and nacho cheese spilled in my purse and overstimulated kids running all over the place.

They promised us adventure, and we got no less.
If by adventure you mean levels of stress and sensory stimuli the likes of which would likely stupefy a Navy Seal.

Finally, Bil snapped out of his shell shock and realized that we could leave whenever we wanted. We were not, in fact, prisoners of war, though I was *this close* to curling up under the plastic seats in the fetal position and begging for my Mama.

Without much fanfare, we recovered our shoes and went AWOL, hightailing it to the nearest Subway, where we mostly recovered.

I, however, am still twitching.

6 comments:

trydefyinggravity said...

so part of me wants to ask why they picked a loud crazy bowling alley to begin with? :-)
So I might get myself into some trouble by saying this, but I tend to shy away from those events, for precisely the reasons you've described. My son tends to mimic the behavior around him, so if others are having trouble coping, he tends to spiral. I'm impressed you said yes and went. I usually waffle for a while then back out. I hope you're able to take tomorrow to recover.
Alysia

Susan said...

I just had an anxiety attack reading that. It was like that museum in St. Louis I was telling you about. It was fun, don't get me wrong here, it was fun. And cool. And there was a lot to do. And it was fun but the best part was leaving.
:)

bernthis said...

bowling with kids can be a bit, uh 'much'. I had a bowling party for Phoebe's birthday. Not sure I'd do that again.

Heather said...

As soon as I saw the sentence with Autism and bowling in it, I was like..this is not going to be good.

Thank goodness your hubby woke up and herded ya'll outta there!

danette said...

Yikes... we had a similar experience about 2 years ago when our twins were invited to a birthday party at a bowling alley. Cuddlebug had his first full-blown meltdown in years at that party, and the crazy thing was it was SO loud in there the only people that even noticed were the ones standing RIGHT next to us. We haven't been bowling since.

Mrsbear said...

Even on a good day, a bowling outing can try the strongest of wills. We usually go about once a year, which is long enough to remember the last time we visited and swear never to do it again. One game is really all we can muster before the kids start to lose it on many levels. It doesn't help that it smells like fryer oil and feet in there.