Wednesday, May 26, 2010

it just figures

For some reason that Alanis Morissette song "Isn't it Ironic?" has been cycling through my mind the last few days. Even though I am well aware that Morissette's song does a terrible job of illustrating irony, the tune is catchy, and has come in handy. I have actually used this song in high school writing classes to point out what is not ironic. If you happen to be a nerd who likes this sort of thing, click here for a great outline of the song and how Morissette went wrong.

I would like to think that I have a better grasp on irony and here I offer a few recent examples from my own life. I will let you decide if these incidents are actually true displays of irony or just rotten luck.

~~~In anticipation of sumer vacation and knowing I will have less free time now that Danny is home, I planned this month's menus accordingly. I chose meals that would be easy to prepare and wouldn't heat up our kitchen too much, since we are also experiencing an unprecedented and unseasonable heat wave. Yesterday, while the kids were playing and Tommy was napping, I took advantage of the lull to make preparations for tonight's dinner. I chopped all the ingredients and then this morning, I assembled everything in the crockpot. I admit I was rather pleased with myself when, at 9AM, I already had dinner basically taken care of. All I had to do was cook a pot of pasta and turn on the crockpot full of Chicken Tetrazinni.

So you can imagine my chagrin when, at 3:30 in the afternoon (more than an hour after I had put the crockpot on the counter and switched it on) I discovered that I had not actually plugged the thing in. I had, however, flicked the switch that turns on that particular outlet.

Not feeling so smug anymore.

~~~This summer we decided to sign Danny up for baseball. Danny has never played any organized sports, and I thought he might enjoy it. When I heard that our park district has a special needs sports league, I thought, "Hey, why not?" Everyone I have talked to highly recommended it, it only lasts 6 weeks, and is super cheap. What's not to like, right?

I talked it up to Danny, because I wasn't sure if he would be as enthusiastic as I am about the whole idea. Turns out, Danny was thrilled at the thought of playing baseball. All day yesterday, he pestered me to take him to the park. The fact that the baseball game was still hours away did not deter him.

Around 5PM, a full 2 hours before we were to be at the baseball diamond, I heard thunder and my heart sank. I knew Danny would be really upset if he didn't get to play tonight.

Luckily, it turned out that it didn't rain.

At least not at our house.

Apparently, though, it had rained at the park, which is a mere 5 miles from my house, so the game was canceled. I had this vision of a little rain cloud settling over the park and raining only there just to thwart my efforts at socializing my kid.

As we picked up Danny's t-shirt, I worried that he would be angry. There was at least one kid there who was having a major meltdown because of the game cancellation, and I knew Danny was disappointed.

When I turned to Danny to explain, he was bummed, but rather philosophical about the whole thing. He said, "That's alright. Let's go get snow cones instead!"

Which we did.

~~~As I have mentioned, Danny is out of school. I have actually been looking forward to summer vacation for many reasons, not least of which is the fact that I would no longer have to drag Danny out of bed in the morning. All year long, it is a struggle to get my kid up and out the door. It gets worse as the year progresses, and Daylight Savings Time (the bane of my existence) only makes it worse, especially in the Spring.

My friend picks Danny up at about 8 AM to take him and her daughter to school. There have been some mornings when he has still been in bed at 7:40. It was driving me crazy. He was worse than a teenager, refusing to stir and getting annoyed with our efforts to rouse him. Danny would groan and turn over, pulling the covers over his head. Most of our bribes fell on deaf ears. Finally, Bil resorted to picking him up, covers and all, and depositing him at the kitchen table, where Danny would let his annoyance be known.

Now that summer is here, I was so relieved that I could just let the kid sleep in. He could wake when he wanted and hopefully be fully refreshed and happy to greet the morning.

And that has happened; Danny has definitely awoken fully refreshed and chipper the last few days.

At 6:00 in the freaking morning.


7 comments:

Alysia said...

Ah, Alanis. Love her and that song. The best description of what irony is not. I too used to use it in my SAT prep classes that I taught.
Don't you love how sometimes the things that we think will set our kids off the most end up not being a big deal? I love how he dealt with the baseball story. My "typical" 7 year old doesn't deal with his games being canceled as well as that! Good for him and you!
Alysia

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

Ah, I miss the good ole summer baseball games. And 6:30?? I'm so sorry.

Ginny Marie said...

I could see that last one coming from a mile away! Of course he wakes up so early IN THE SUMMER! So much for you sleeping in.

(my kids wake up that early, too!)

Sarah said...

You definitely have a better grasp on what irony is all about---the crock pot is classic. I wonder if Alanis has gone back and really reflected on where she "went wrong"---the irony, however, is that despite her inaccuracies, it is one of her more popular songs---I'm sure she's laughing all the way to the bank.

Elizabeth Channel said...

Ha ha ha! That is so terribly early though...once the baseball starts, I'll bet he'll sleep longer!

Bil said...

Thank goodness summer's here...he was getting to be a little too heavy to pick up with a whole heap of blankets on top...

Mrsbear said...

6 a.m. Gah! So typical isn't it. We still have three days to go here. I don't know what I'm going to do with myself. As it is, they are constantly bickering and they're only together for a few hours, all day is going to result in full blown sibling war. I might have to build a bomb shelter...