Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Exercise in futility

As befitting the new year, I have had fitness goals on my mind a lot lately. I am desperate to lose some weight before summer so some of my old clothes will fit me. So, the last couple of weeks I have renewed my commitment to exercising regularly. The kids are not making it easy.

Tommy learned to crawl a couple of months ago and hasn't stopped since. The kid is into everything and has taken to cruising around the house--walking while holding onto various pieces of furniture. When I pull out my Reebok step to do some aerobics, Tommy crawls over as fast as his little legs can take him and parks his cute tiny self right on the step. Then, he proceeds to climb all over it while I am trying to exercise. No matter how often I remove the kid from the step, or where I put him, he will return in minutes and continue to thwart my exercise attempts.

On the plus side, I must be improving my coordination, because I am getting rather adept at following the exercise tape while not stepping on my child.

This afternoon, I decided to exercise while Tommy was napping, figuring it would be easy to get in a 45-minute workout before having to go get Danny from school. I decided to do a ballet-inspired toning tape which has a lot of Pilates moves. Halfway through the tape it's time to move to the floor. The minute I got on my stomach to do some push-ups, Charlotte climbed on my back.

I fell right over.

Charlotte laughed and laughed.

She then proceeded to scale my body while I did the plank series and other Pilates moves. Every time I knocked her off my back, she just cackled maniacally and prepared to climb back on. Then came the ab series, and you guessed it, Charlotte took to climbing on my stomach or sitting on my legs.

That 45-minute workout? Yeah, it took me almost 2 hours to complete, because I had to keep rewinding the DVD and retrying the exercises. I also had to stop to catch my breath and lecture Charlotte about how she was killing her mommy.

Thank goodness she doesn't weigh more or I might have thrown out my back. Either the girl is going to seriously hurt me or maybe she'll give me an even better workout, with all that added resistance.

Monday night, while doing therapy, we set up an obstacle course for the kids. The kids jumped on the trampoline, spun on the astronaut board, threw rings on cones, etc. They were having a blast.

Next, I suggested we have a scooter board race in the kitchen. This entails sitting on a tiny scooter board and pushing yourself along the floor with your heels (it gives Danny more input and pressure to his legs. It also really strengthens leg muscles you never knew you had.) You scoot across the kitchen to the pile of large cardboard blocks, put the blocks between your legs, and squeeze while scooting back across the kitchen.

It sounds a lot easier than it is. Believe me.

All was going well until Charlotte insisted she no longer wanted to race on her own board; instead she wanted to sit on my lap while I did all the work. If I thought I was getting a workout by scooting frantically across my kitchen, adding 28 pounds of little girl almost killed me.

Finally, I gave up and commanded Bil to take my place. He struggled too, so much so that by the end he was slightly lightheaded and nauseated.

I wonder if maybe Bil and I need this therapy more than Danny actually does.

And I wonder if Charlotte might not be the perfect replacement for Jillian Michaels; she sure can get your heart rate up.

9 comments:

Jan said...

In many ways, you're very fortunate because your children are still small. Give them, oh, six or seven years and they won't climb on you or try to play with you while you exercise, they WILL stand around and snicker a lot.

Natalie said...

Too funny! Maybe you could try wearing Tommy in a front carrier while you do your step that way he gets the stimulation of you bopping around and you won't have him underfoot on your step. He'll also give you quite a bit of added resistance.When Hannah was little and it was too cold for my comfort to go out for walks with the stroller I used to put her in the front carrier and get on the treadmill. I worked great.
Natalie

Sarah said...

It never fails---when I am on the treadmill, the kids come down to swing with something to eat----

Don't get discouraged Patty---keep this thought in the back of your mind....even if it seems like you are accomplishing nothing, you are still doing something. And something is better than nothing.

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

What a perfect title for this post!
Obviously you need some type of exercise that incorporates kids; don't ask me what. Or maybe running. As in, very far away from them. They can't keep up, right?

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

Trying to work out with little ones around. Ah, yes, what a joy that is!

I love the picture on your header by the way. Where did you find that?

Mrsbear said...

I think it's instinctual. Kids see a parent in a prone position and they immediately pounce on their most vulnerable anatomy.

If it doesn't kill you, it will make you stronger?

Yeah, I don't buy that either, but hopefully your spine will remain intact.

I've given up on exercise of late. Sadly, you haven't helped with my motivation. ;)

Work it!

Elizabeth Channel said...

Scooter board *in* the house! Awesome idea! Did you buy it or make it?

HarryJack's Mom said...

Thank you! I remember getting that same saltines/American combo in the hospital and deciding it just wasn't worth it. I'm new here but hope you have found some awesome cooking blogs ?? I'll keep reading :-)

Hartley said...

Hi Patty,

I think it sounds like a perfect romance. :)

I love Valentine's Day -- it is by far my favorite holiday!

I hope you enjoyed your day yesterday, we sure did.

Hartley
www.hartleysboys.com