Saturday, November 21, 2009

Christmas miracles


My kids have been looking forward to Christmas since Halloween. More specifically, they have been on tenterhooks waiting for the day when we can finally decorate the Christmas tree. I don't know exactly why, but the prospect of tree trimming holds almost as much excitement and magic as presents do. And that is saying a lot.

I know I have mentioned this before, but decorating the tree is one of my favorite Christmas traditions. I am not entirely sure why. I am not typically very into the decoration of anything, let alone a tree that will be taken down in a month (ok, when I say "a month" I mean more like two months, but let's not get all picky here). Yet decorating the tree has always, since I was a kid, been one of my favorite parts of Christmas. Even when I was older and the tradition no longer held any interest for my siblings, I still looked forward to it

And doing it now with my kids? Makes it so much more fun for me. Because they are the only two humans on this earth who get as excited as I do at the prospect. They never tire of hanging yet one more snowman on the tree and they get a real kick out of some of the stories behind the ornaments.

Still, I was worried that there would be conflict this year, as it is the first time Charlotte has been interested in helping us decorate. That means that Danny would have to share some of the more coveted decorations, including the piece de resistance: our golden sparkly star. The kids have been debating all week who would receive the honor of placing the star in its place. (When I say "debating" I really mean screaming at each other endlessly).

I may have mentioned before that Danny and Charlotte have, on occasion, bickered and argued. (When I say "on occasion" I mean they spend about 85% of their waking hours fighting over something.) They fight over the dumbest things, too. It drives me nuts, but I am sure it is a bit of karma biting me in the rear end for the endless fighting I did with my siblings as a kid, teenager and young adult.

So, I geared up for possible squabbling and bickering, and this is what I heard instead:
"Hey, Charlotte, here's an ornament for you."
"Thank you, Danny. You are a good sharer."
"Mommy, I love Christmas. I love our tree. It's so beautiful."
"Charlotte can have the star if she wants it."
"Here, mommy, you can have this one."

Yes, my kids decorated in peace and harmony. No one fought over a single ornament, not even the star.

Do I believe in Christmas miracles?

Yes, yes I do.

5 comments:

Amy Jane said...

I LOVE that! How awesome! Christmas miracles truly do happen. :)

a Tonggu Momma said...

I adore decorating the tree, too. It's my chosen activity to do every year on our wedding anniversary. Glad your urchins got along. There is something special and magical about decorating the tree.

Mama Zen said...

Now, THAT'S a miracle!

Mrsbear said...

If decorating the tree will effectively stop the bickering, I will decorate that sucker year round!

Don't feel bad, mine are the same, whatever they can find to argue about they will argue about, then shout about, then possibly club each other over the head about. Sigh.

Susan said...

Ohhh! Sounds like a great start to your Holidays!
I am a little jealous!