Saturday, October 17, 2009

You can take the girl out of the city......

I grew up in Chicago, not the suburbs, but the actual city. As those of you who have spent much time with me know, I take pride in that fact, probably a disproportionate amount of pride, but most Chicagoans do. All my life I have considered myself a city girl, and when we relocated to the town in which I now reside, I didn't know what to think. I was used to more diversity, better restaurants, and lots more people. And I was used to a much, much different accent. Let's just say those Super Fans (you know, the "Da Bears" guys) on Saturday Night Live sound eerily like my twin brother. Seriously, he says the word "tree" when he means "three." And here? Yeah, they sound like we live in the south rather than the Midwest.

My family jokes that I moved to the country, even though our town has a population of about 20,000 people. I grew up thinking, after all, that Chicago was the only big city in the state of Illinois. Even our illustrious former governor (Rod Balgojevich) acted like Chicago was the state capitol.

Surprisingly, I have really come to love this smallish town. I love the people and even the laid-back attitude, though it is still one I find difficult to emulate, especially in traffic or while waiting for the cashier in Wal-Mart to quit talking to her 5th cousin twice removed so she can check me out already.

Ahem.

The other day, though, I noticed some signs that indicated that perhaps I was becoming more of a country girl than I thought.

Behold the view of my front yard, for example:
Font size















You know you are no longer in the city if you have a large flatbed trailer sitting not just in front of your house, but on your actual front lawn. Doesn't get much more countrified than this, unless......













you happen to have a big, rusty tractor in your back yard, which we do, of course.
And it gets better.....













Our kids have taken to playing for hours on the flatbed trailer and the logs that are all over our yards.

Convinced yet that we are no longer city folk? If not, the following picture should cinch the deal.













Yes, yes, in fact, my kids often run outside barefoot to play on the trailer.

I won't even mention that Danny routinely pees outside, because that would just be showing off.

5 comments:

justincase505.blogspot said...

I enjoyed your comments about moving to the country and what you encountered there!!
Don't you think the country is a better place to raise young ones?
I grew up in the country as well, in an upstate NY town with 592 souls; my graduating class [1964] had 15 kids, and two of them were exchange students from South America!!
RE: Your question of 10/16...
Does he eat lunch at school?
What does he have for lunch?
Does he get a PM snack?
I think you partially answered your own question, but I would investigate the sugar and carb content of his lunches and snacks.

Susan said...

I don't live in the country but now suffer from suburban boredom :)
I think living in Chicago when we were young is different then it is now. I tell people I use to ride the CTA unsupervised at the age of 11- would I let my kids when they are 11 HELLS NO!

Sarah said...

I married a true city dweller too---North side baby. And in those parts, not only is "three" tree, but milk is "melk" and the alley is an "elly". Now we's more dignified here in Wheaton---we have a TV on our deck circa 1995 with a plastic bag on it that Matt calls "the TV condom" to keep it dry from the rain.

Love the pics---but I bet you miss those burritos....

goodfountain said...

ROFL. Those are hysterical!!

Mrsbear said...

Ha! I love it. Your grass is so green. Maybe I belong in the country instead of a major metropolitan area. In my backyard: two cars that don't run. My kids routinely play outside barefoot, occasionally my two year old in just a diaper, and my six year old will pee in the backyard whenever possible. Apparently it's very liberating...or so I'm told.