Friday, September 11, 2009

ISO: motivation

I get regular emails from freecycle.com, which is a group that encourages recycling. When you have something you don't want or need anymore, you can post it on the group's page and someone who needs it can come and get it. It's a great way to recycle, keep things out of the landfills and save some money while you are at it.

The only downside is the number of emails that can end up filling your inbox in a very short period of time. The header is always something like: "To Give: cute puppy to a good home" or "ISO (in search of): a working microwave."

Lately, I have been wishing I could post a request for a couple of things. Wouldn't it be great if someone in my area had some extra energy in the mornings to send my way? Or some patience? Motivation would be nice, too. I don't know what it is, but I just don't feel like doing any work lately. It's not like I'm sitting around eating bonbons, while watching Oprah. It's just that that is exactly what I feel like doing (well, maybe not watching Oprah; I'd really rather be watching Cake Boss or The Office or The United States of Tara but you know what I mean).

I just don't feel like doing yet another load of laundry or mopping the floors or worst of all, cleaning the bathrooms. Not to mention how little I feel like working out. I think the problem here is that I am not seeing results; I am losing weight so slowly I will hit my goal weight in about 20 years. And the housework? As soon as the floor is mopped, someone (usually Charlotte) spills OJ all over it. The laundy piles keep growing no matter how fast I work and the bathrooms are sprinkled with pee by the kids on an hourly basis.

Maybe I should look at it as job security. I don't know, but since the work will always be there, I guess I shouldn't feel guilty about putting it aside today for an afternoon picnic at the park with friends, right?

6 comments:

Denise said...

Nope...don't feel guilty. It was fun. Glad we did it...need to more often. Truthfully, I haven't done a thing today except start the dishwasher. I'm heading upstairs to get J's football gear to wash a load...but maybe only one for today. Had a ball....let's get together more often.

Amy Jane said...

You hit the nail on the head in your last paragraph, Patty! Don't sweat it. We women spend WAY too much time feelng guilty. It's time we stopped!

Heather said...

Oh yeah, we were on the same wavelength today - I had brunch with a girlfriend (no babysitting kids this week!!), then I called my BFF in Phoenix and talked for - THREE HOURS! Well, we hadn't talked on the phone in FOREVER, so we had a lot of catching up to do! And the bathrooms just collected another day's worth of dirt. Oh well...

a Tonggu Momma said...

No guilt allowed!!!!

Sarah said...

Just moments before reading your post I was trying to talk myself out of taking a cat nap this afternoon---hilarious! Here's the thing---if it is a beautiful day out, I now take the time to sit outside and read a magazine, cross stitch or just sit for at least 1/2 hour---I am forcing myself to let go and it's worth it....

Winter comes too fast and lasts too long---and for god sakes, the bathrooms can wait for another day (or in my case, a week :)

Mrsbear said...

I am feeling you. I have at least five loads of clean laundry to fold and put away, a sink full of dirty dishes, and dog hair tumble weeds mocking me from the corners. Instead I'm catching up on my blog reading which I've also been slacking on for weeks. If you happen to find your motivation, would you mind sending me a pinch? :)