Monday, August 10, 2009

making preparations

So, I leave tomorrow for Chicago and then make my way to the suburbs on Wed. so that I can babysit my niece and nephew. I will have charge of 5 kids for a whole week.

So, what do you think I should do to prepare? Any ideas? I'm wondering if there is anything special I need to pack, besides some Advil and perhaps some ear plugs. My sister is leaving me some Xanax*, so pharmaceutically, I'm good to go.

So, yeah, to all those moms who are really skilled at keeping kids busy and preventing fights, or even just caring for multiple kids without leaving lasting physical or emotional scars (on yourself or the kids) please give me any advice you may have. I feel like I am going off to battle with no weapons.

Hmmm.....maybe that is a bad analogy.


Note: I have never taken Xanax and am way too chicken to take other people's prescriptions, but it's somehow comforting to know it is there, nonetheless.

3 comments:

kia (good enough mama) said...

Re the Xanax? Never say never, my friend. Speaking of friends, Xannies make good ones.

I hope your time in Chicago goes quickly and smoothly, Xannies or no Xannies. ;)

Kim said...

no advice for you.... but i'll be praying for you. ;)

Mrsbear said...

Hmmm. What can I say? After an entire summer of keeping my kids from killing each other, my advice is still pretty limited. Don't be afraid to resort to DVDs for a much need break, or naps, or Benadryl. I'm kidding about drugging the kids, but snacks work wonders. Usually mine do better when they're engaged in a game or something, but almost any activity will end with someone being unhappy or crying or smacking someone else in the face. Yay. Be prepared for that and you'll get through it. Whatever you do though, don't leave the house with five kids by yourself, you're setting yourself up for a migraine. Good luck. I'll be thinking of you all!