Saturday, June 13, 2009

success! finally!

OK, anyone who has read my blog much knows that I am a bit obsessed about potty training my kids. I think, though, that anyone in my situation would be a bit desperate. After all, my son will be 6 years old in July and he still poops in his pants. And as of last week, my 3-year-old daughter showed no interest in using the toilet.

Yes, you read that right: as of last week. This week? Whole different story. I had been putting her in underwear so that she would connect the feeling that she has to go with actually going. This is the strategy that finally worked with Danny at age 4. Yes, I know. Please don't judge. My self-esteem is tenuous enough already.

So, I kept putting Charlotte in underwear despite the fact that she seemed to be making no progress for a couple of weeks. I was getting discouraged but had no idea what to do. I didn't know what was going wrong. I mean, Charlotte doesn't have developmental delays like Danny, so what was taking her so long?

I have no idea, just as I have no idea why she suddenly started using the toilet. Wednesday morning, I happened to get her to sit on the toilet before she went in her diaper and she has not had a single accident (pee-related accident, that is. We are still working on the poop) since then. Not only that, but she has told me a couple of times when she needed to use the potty in public.

As I told my friend D, I feel like I have won the lottery, and I am truly not exaggerating. I had almost given up hope on being able to potty train any of my kids, but now I know it is possible. And with this renewed hope, I have devised a potty training plan to help Danny poop on the toilet. I am not sure if it will work, but it involves major incentive for him, and I plan to say many, many prayers. I am so hoping he is totally potty trained by kindergarten. I mean, I am not being unreasonable here, am I? We'll see.

9 comments:

goodfountain said...

Yay!!!

I say start with Tommy when he's 18 months. ;)

Denise said...

good for you! YOU are great...and it will all work out. YOUR prayers work wonders! When I need something, I'm going to start calling YOU to pray for ME!

a Tonggu Momma said...

Congrats! I always think it's more important to say congrats to the child rather than the parent, but you and I know who *really* did the majority of the work, fretting and praying.

Sarah said...

Congrats!!! We are still working on Jack...and (gulp) he will be 6 in November. Emma was a snap and to this day I am amazed because developmentally she is a lot farther behind than Jack.

This summer we are hitting it again hard...I told Jack I am sick of his poop and he told me that he does "stink"---really kid?

Mrsbear said...

Woo HOO! I'm so happy for you! I've managed to train 3 of my 4 so far and honestly, it's only been easy once they were really ready. And for each of them it was a different age, different process, different everything. So glad you found success. There's hope for Danny yet, I'm sure of it!

Amy Jane said...

Patty,

That's awesome! See - it WILL all work out, in its own time. I remember how excited I was when Nick had a potty-training breakthrough, and especially when he finally pooped on the potty, at long last. :)

We should TOTALLY meet in St. Louis!! Just tell me when you can get away from the kiddos, and we'll make a plan.

I miss you!

Elizabeth Channel said...

Rock on! That's so wonderful!

We had a poop-on-foot-track-around-the-entire-house-before-we-realized-it episode a few nights ago and, naturally, I thought of you.

Doesn't that warm your heart?

lonestar said...

That's awesome!! I wish you continued success w/ the pooping in the potty (and please share tips on whatever works, we're kind of hit a wall on that one over here, Bitty won't even try but he does pee in the potty and he does tell us when he needs a pull-up for his other business, so I can't complain too much).

Shellie said...

Wow! See, the thing is, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink, and all those people who got their kids to train at age 2 just had thirsty horses. All of a sudden, they decide they're ready, and it just clicks. I would still go ahead with the incentives for Danny, it can't hurt, as long as you realize it is still up to him and try to at least pretend to be patient :).I'll throw in a few prayers for you.