Sunday, May 31, 2009

bad, bad news

My cousin's ex-husband, who is a Chicago police officer, is in the hospital in critical condition after having been in a terrible car accident. The accident happened as he sped to the scene of a crime this past week. Because another driver did not get out of his way, D's police car crashed into a pole.

Apparently, as D was trapped and unconscious in his police SUV, a couple of men actually stole his gun and wallet, and while doing so they may have made the injuries even worse. He suffered some spinal injuries and, as anyone who has taken a First Aid class or watched an episode of ER knows, moving a person who has hurt their back and neck is probably the worst thing you could do. So, not only did these onlookers not help, but they likely caused more damage as they committed a crime on an unconscious and seriously hurt cop.

I just can't get this out of my mind, and my mom just informed me this evening that there is a chance that D won't make it. And if he does survive, it is highly likely that he will be paralyzed.

I can't picture D being paralyzed. He's a big, strong, boisterous man, who was always ready with a joke. He always seemed really eager to please and befriend people. Before he and my cousin separated, I spent a good amount of time at their house. They lived a mile away from my parents' house, and I often babysat their daughter after D went to work and before my cousin got home from her job as a nurse. Though I have only seen him once in the last 8 years or so, I just can't stop thinking of him and hoping he will pull through and not just survive, but someday walk again.

The only thing I can do is pray, I guess, and I have been doing that quite a lot. If you are so inclined and think of it, maybe you could include D in your prayers, too. I'm sure he would appreciate it and I know I would, as would my other cousin, 'The Lil Mom That Could'.

8 comments:

Stonefox said...

Patty, this is so terrible, it breaks my heart. I can't believe someone would steal from him when he was so hurt like that, I just can't get over that. I will be praying, like you, that he not only survives but walks again.

a Tonggu Momma said...

Patty, I am so, so sorry. Our faith was shaken this weekend as well, by a terrible crime within our small community. I just don't understand... I will pray for him - that he not only lives, but thrives again.

Mrsbear said...

That's just awful, Patty. I can't even imagine what type of person would steal from an injured police officer. He will be in my prayers. I'm so sorry. I hope he makes it through this.

MOM-NOS said...

I'll be praying. :)

Casdok said...

I am so sorry. I do hope and pray that he pulls through. And that they find who ever stole his gun and wallet and get what they deserve.

Sarah said...

Patty I am so sorry and I am in disbelief that this police officer is part of your family. Matt and I were just talking about the accident and couldn't believe that someone would do this....

Sometimes I really question the humanity in people.

Elizabeth Channel said...

Sadness. I will pray for this man. Please keep us updated...

bernthis said...

I'm so so sorry to hear this. What a horrible thing to do to someone. Just horrible