Friday, April 24, 2009

is it WW or Sesame Street?

I just received a letter from Weight Watchers begging me to come back to them and even offering free registration.  In the past, I have been a member of WW several times.  I do like the program and always lose weight on it when I am actually following it.  I had been considering joining up again, but hesitated to fork over so much money for something I could conceivably do for free.

Anyway, on the WW ad, there was a picture of  this cuddly guy.  His name is Hungry and he is the new mascot for WW.  Yeah, they now have a mascot.  What is this?  College basketball?  Why do I need a furry monster to help me lose weight?  As if I don't see enough of these guys on Sesame Street everyday.

Is it just me or does he remind you of the Cookie Monster?  

Yeah, I don't think he is going to be very helpful to me in my quest for a svelte body.  When I see him, all I want is cookies.  Is this a misguided marketing campaign or something more sinister, like an attempt to subliminally trick us into eating more cookies, thus ensuring that WW will always have customers?

I don't know, but I'm off to get some snickerdoodles.  

10 comments:

Quirky Mom said...

Mmmm, snickerdoodles. Are you sharing?

Sarah said...

I just saw that same commercial and wondered the same thing...I didn't realize that food, once digested, manifests into some kind of muppet....

HeatherPride said...

I agree. If you've been on the program once then you should pretty much know what to do from there. You probably don't need to join if you just get back on the program yourself. Good luck!

Kim said...

hmmmm... i don't think this ad campaign is working for them. I have seen that particular muppet before, but there is no way I would have been able to tell you it was from a WW ad. The character stuck in my mind, but not the actual product he was trying to sell. Sounds like a failed campaign to me.

anway... put down the snickerdoodles! now, if i could just let go of this doughnut!!!

kia (good enough mama) said...

Actually, that little doooooood gives me nightmares. Thanks. After I have nightmares, I eat. Junk. Here I go.....

William said...

It's like the cigarette company, they're marketing to a younger and younger audience. You're tweenage daughters will be on the point program before you can say "Cookies are a sometimes food."

rainbowmummy said...

http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2009/02/this-is-how-you-show-hungry-whos-boss.html

Hmmm having never been a member of WW my only advise is go if it will help, but for me the social side and the "wasting a child free time" isn't worth it. Also the cash.

But, whatever you do don't eat the chemical filled crap they sell!!

xxxx

Mrsbear said...

Seems kind of a weird approach to me. The cute furry cookie eater is supposed to convince grown women to lose weight? If he's anything like cookie monster, you're right, I'm reaching for the Oreos... ;) I lost my last ten lbs of baby weight a year after my youngest was born...it took two back to back flus. Very effective.

lilmomthatcould.com said...

This is extremely evil I know but next time announce really loud so boy and mom can hear "Come on kids let's go to Diary Queen and get a BIG sundae."
Okay so passive aggressive but the boy gets a little jealous and the mom is stuck with a whiny brat begging for DQ.
I have done this before, especially when the stink eye doesn't work..

The Caked Crusader said...

I've just re-joined WW too...but then again..mmmm... snickerdoodles!