Saturday, March 14, 2009

Operation "Jiffy-Pop" not gone as planned, but a roaring success nonetheless..

Hello loyal Pancakers, this is Bil, and I bring word.

Last night, (Friday) we were all packed for the hospital, halfway bedecked in a stylish array of comfy around-the-house sweats and t-shirts, ready for operation 'Jiffy-Pop' to roll. Patty made dinner-- some scrumptious salmon patties on English muffins-- but surprisingly, she didn't feel like partaking. I didn't think much of it, our eating schedules have been really out of sync from each other lately. We talked about putting the kids to bed early, and Patty set the all-important timer that indicates the start of teeth brushing and subsequent story reading. Earlier in the day, she called me at work and we chatted for awhile, having what would be our penultimate What-have-we-done-this-is-the-last-day-we-will-only-have-two-kids venting and nostalgia session. As we sat revisiting this particular thread, we fried our dinner on the stove top and toasted the English muffins, creating a furtive duet of tasty scents. I don't remember exactly what happened (I think the kids distracted me for a moment) but I turned to face Patty as she was clutching her pants, slightly red in the face, asking me if I saw the pool that was collecting on the floor.

Fortuitously, we had a babysitter lined up already for Operation Jiffy-Pop; a short phone call later and our children had supervision for the evening. Yessssss! I excitedly shoved one of the delicious salmon patties into my head-- with three mint-dark chocolate three musketeers following close behind-- as I hurriedly picked up this bag and that bag, opted for a thermal shirt instead of my heavy winter coat, checked the digital camera for battery power, dejectedly plugged in the battery charger, hung the tire-swing for our suddenly bored daughter to play with, and looked frantically around for the important items I set somewhere randomly while I was distracted by children and chocolate.

Patty, on the other hand, was unruffled, even altruistic throughout what I saw as the onset of a terrific ordeal. Driving through a thick storm of my jabbering words, I realized I had auto-piloted straight to the hospital, even though I promised Patty I would stop and buy her a thick chocolate shake (without the cherry) from Steak-and-Shake as a consolation dinner. She put me at ease immediately, no, food was of no immediate interest to her. We walked together into the ER reception, holding hands in the chilly night air. I recalled our first date, and our first time holding hands during a particularly nasty Illinois winter... I had offered to hold her hand while we trekked across some nasty ice patches that littered the ground in Wicker Park. No sooner had I taken her hand to safely guide her through, when I suddenly wiped out-- my butt smacking the ice with a damp, echoing thud. We both laughed really hard that cold night, and we still laugh about it sometimes.

Her water burst a second time in the ER reception, inciting a mild riot over the spontaneous generation of a small body of water, which ended in the spontaneous generation of a well-groomed nurse proffering a wheelchair coach, all while we were waiting in line just behind a woman who literally looked as blue as Shiva. Patty, in her altruistic way, offered to let the two boys behind us (meek, sickly-looking little boys, both suffering from the same bout of gastroenteritis that our Charlotte did the week before) go ahead of us, but nobody was inclined to accept her offer.

It would be several hours later, before Thomas would be unleashed upon the world, and hours more still before Patty would receive her promised milkshake without the cherry.

I have to say, I really enjoyed the time together with Patty during the delivery. It was one of those times where we were, thankfully, and for the most part, left alone to contemplate the ponderous machinery of our united universes. I will leave any remaining details for my beloved Patty to expound upon as she sees fit. Being stripped of dignity and modesty, (as only a delivering mother understands,) I can only tactfully, and safely leave to her what choice bits she will ultimately cook up for you, her loyal and hungry Pancakers.

Suffice it to proclaim our Thomas is among us!
Gurgle with Glee! Go forth and thrash! Hip Hip Hooray!

15 comments:

Lori at Spinning Yellow said...

Congratulations! And I loved this "guest" post by your husband. As usual, I am behind in my reading and saw this "pop" up and then remembered, "right, she's about to have a baby!!!" It sounds like everyone is doing well. I am so happy for your family and your new addition!

Natalie said...

Yeah! Congratulations! Welcome Thomas!
Natalie

goodfountain said...

Yay!! Congratulations! Bil you wrote an excellent update for us. Patty, can't wait to hear all the gory details if you are inclined to share!

Thomas is a wonderful name!

Quirky Mom said...

Wow!!! Congrats to you both, and to Danny and Charlotte, too. And a great big welcome to Thomas. <3

And Patty, you are my second friend in a 24h period to pop out a baby in advance of a just-scheduled induction. Weird how that happens!

beckbot said...

So nice to skip the Pitocin if you can. Amazing timing, Thomas! And a big congratulations to Patty, Bil, Danny, and Charlotte. Enjoy this new baby time.

carrie said...

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! So excited for you and your family. Welcome to the new little bundle of joy. Can't wait to meet him. And so loved visiting with you last week.

Amy Jane said...

Congratulations, Patty and Bil! I'm so happy for you. Bil - I am ever-so-slightly peeved that you left out such important details as time of birth, weight, length, hair, etc., but I will forgive you. :) Patty - please fill us in as soon as you feel able, and enjoy that precious baby boy! How funny that you went into labor just before you were going to be induced. I await more news...

lilmomthatcould.com said...

Welcome to the family Thomas!

Stonefox (otherwise known as Heidi) said...

Congratulations!! I'm so excited for you guys! I hope the adjustment goes fast and healing is quick for Patty. Can't wait to hear from her!

mrsbear said...

Hooray for the new baby. So delighted to read baby Thomas's thoughtful intro to the blogging world, penned by such an eloquent dad. Speedy recovery for mom, glad to hear it all went well. Can't wait to hear Patty's spin on the Jiffy Pop mission. And all the important details. I love the spontaneity of what was supposed to be a scheduled event. A hint of what you can expect with this little guy, perhaps?

Jackie said...

Congrats! Can't wait for the details! Hope all is going well for mommy and baby!

MOM-NOS said...

Congrats!!!!
Your hubby is quite the blogger!!

I can't wait to hear more!!! We all love a good birth story, right?!

HeatherPride said...

Awesome news!!! Welcome, Thomas!

Congrats!

Kia (Good Enough Mama) said...

Ohmigosh, YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY!!! Congrats Patty and Bil and the entire family. Welcome, Thomas! I, and the rest of the blogiverse, can't wait to see pics.

Again, congrats!!!

a Tonggu Momma said...

CONGRATULATIONS Patty and Bil. Welcome to the world, little Thomas.