Thursday, March 5, 2009

motherhood rites of passage: the er visit

We just got home from the hospital this afternoon after having spent about 36 hours there. Tuesday morning, Charlotte started throwing up again. I took her to the doctor's but the medicine they gave her didn't help. That night she threw up about every hour or two and I finally took her to the ER around 4:30 AM. It was horrible! Between watching them poke, prod and stick her with needles and listen to her cry and beg for water (they wouldn't let me give her anything to eat or drink since she was throwing up so much) it was a nightmare!

They finally got her on IV fluids and moved her to a pediatric room, where the kind nurses allowed us to give Charlotte Gatorade, which was an enormous relief. They kept her overnight for evaluation and more IV fluids and to make sure she was done with the vomiting. I cannot tell you how grateful I am that she is doing better. She was so lethargic and glass-eyed. She wasn't talking at all and barely moved.

I think she is definitely getting her spark back. Bil just went to the bathroom to take a much-needed and well-deserved bath. Charlotte ran to the bathroom when she heard the water running and tried to get in with her pjs on (have I mentioned that she totally loves baths again. I have no idea what changed her mind, but I am grateful). Anyway, I just heard her say, "Hey Daddy, are you naked?" Yes, she is back to her old self, I think.

10 comments:

a Tonggu Momma said...

Oh, my goodness. That does NOT sound like a fun experience. I am so glad she's okay now. And - by that last comment - sounds like she is! ;)

Amy Jane said...

Patty - What a scary experience that must have been for you! I'm so glad that Charlotte is feeling better now. Knock on wood - Nick has never thrown up more than once during a single illness. It must be so scary to see your child vomiting over and over like that.

Hey - it's just like I told you with the baths! Nick changed his mind back just as suddenly as Charlotte, and went from being terrified of baths to loving them again overnight! Isn't it nice to be able to cross that off your list of ordeals? ;)

BTW - Thank you SO MUCH for your words of support and friendship on my blog. You mean so much to me, Patty. I love you!

Denise said...

glad you are back home and charlotte is back to normal.

HeatherPride said...

Poor kiddo!! And poor YOU! So sorry - glad she's feeling better!

I can never take a bath without my 4-year old barging in on me with an armload of tub toys. It doesn't matter how stealthy I am, once he hears the water running, he's up the stairs in a flash!

kia (good enough mama) said...

Scary, indeed. I'm so glad she's doing better. I'm also glad that my kid isn't the only one who runs into the bathroom the minute there's a sign that someone's in there having a bit of privacy...

MOM-NOS said...

Oh my! We must be soul sisters...sharing similar experiences lately! LOL I just went through some of that with my youngest.
I'll be praying for continued recovery for her and that you get a break to recoup too!! :)

Quirky Mom said...

That sounds scary!!! Glad she's doing better, and I hope it continues. How are YOU feeling?

beckbot said...

So glad Charlotte is feeling better. What an experience! Hoping you'll all get some rest.

Elizabeth Channel said...

OH that is so not fun! I'm so glad she's better--it's amazing how quickly they bounce back once they get those fluids!

mrsbear said...

That's scary. I hate the ER. We had to do the same for my oldest back when she was five. She had a stomach flu and was terribly dehydrated and just so lethargic, it was frightening. Glad Charlotte is feeling better.