Monday, March 16, 2009

the baby stats

Thanks to everyone who sent their congratulations. And thanks for all the prayers for a safe and easy delivery! I really appreciate all your support.

I just woke up from a much needed nap and as it is almost 11pm and is way too late to return any of the several phone messages that I have neglected, I thought I would post while waiting for Tommy's next feeding. I am hoping that we will not have a repeat of last night; he would not sleep unless attached to my breast, which made for very sore nipples and not much sleep for me.

Anyway, here are all the vital stats on our sweet baby:
He weighed 7 pounds, 12 ounces, was 21 inches long and was born on March 14 at 3:30 am after about 8 hours of labor. (For any of you who are as nerdy as my husband, I should point out that Tommy was born on Pi Day: 3-14. Bil was hoping he would be born at 1:59, but I couldn't accommodate him.) His hair is very dark; I can't tell what color his eyes are as he keeps them closed most of the time and they are that in-between newborn color.

As for gory labor details, I don't really have any. Bil already shared how my water broke at home and then gushed in the ER admitting room, sending all the hospital workers into a tizzy. It was pretty comical. I think they all seriously thought I was going to pop the baby out right there on the floor. Do they not realize it usually takes at least a couple of hours? I hadn't even really begun labor at that point, but they were so anxious to get me upstairs that they had Bil check me in while someone wheeled me to Labor and Delivery.

I was only mildly impolite a few times during labor, for which I am grateful. Luckily, I held my tongue and avoided some possible embarrassment. At one point, I did tell one nurse to quit touching me; every time I had a contraction, she wanted to check my cervix, and if there is anything that distracts from relaxation breathing, it is having a hand shoved up inside you. When the doctor finally got there, he also spent a great deal of time with his hand in my cervix, but, unbeknownst to me, he was actually moving Tommy's head, which was caught on my pelvic bone. I am so glad I didn't scream the obscenities that were on the tip of my tongue, because once he finished with me, Tommy came out in 3 pushes. And since I have to see this doctor again, I am a bit relieved that I showed some self-control.

So, there you have it, the very condensed version of my son's birth. I am really happy to be home, but also anxious to get onto some sort of routine. Bil is home this week and my mother and sister-in-law will be here this weekend. Then, my mom comes next week. Hopefully in all that, I will manage to get some sleep. Well, I am being paged, the insatiable boy has awoken!

11 comments:

Quirky Mom said...

Well done, Patty! It sounds like that nurse was asking for it. ;)

Stonefox (otherwise known as Heidi) said...

Sounds like you are back to yourself already! So glad you were able to give us all the details so soon. Congrats again!

kia (good enough mama) said...

:) Yay. I'm so happy for you, Patty!

mrsbear said...

Congrats, so happy for you and the family. My six year old was also born on 3/14/03 at 4 am-ish. I didn't even consider the numerical importance of Pi-Day. lol. Hope you get to squeeze in some sleep. And kudos for maintaining some measure of etiquette despite all the probing hands.

carrie said...

i love that your baby was born on pi day. my nerdy hubby pointed that out to me the other day, to which i replied, "uh?" math geeks...gotta love them. again, congrats on your new bundle of joy.

beckbot said...

Yay Patty! You did it! There's nothing like having a baby to make you feel like you can do anything. You mentioned relaxation breathing. Was this a drug-free birth? If so you have my total admiration not to mention incredulity.

rainbowmummy said...

Yay!!! A baby!!!!!!!!! A baby boy!!!!

stop making me broody ;)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

allaboutpotential said...

How thrilling! congratulations on your new baby boy. wishing you plenty of sleep, easy nursing and fast recovery. Thanks for sharing the details with us!

HeatherPride said...

Congratulations!!!!!! It sounds like everything went well and I'm so happy (as I'm sure you are!) that you're all home and well! Get some rest!

Colette said...

Congrats on a successful delivery! And thanks for emailing the picture! SO CUTE! What a proud papa!! Best wishes!!

Elizabeth Channel said...

Wonderful news! Congratulations!