Saturday, December 13, 2008

they never cease to surprise me

I think my kids are playing mind games with me today. Even more than usual. Bil was gone this morning with the church youth group, so I decided to take the kids to the library. Last night I had bought Danny a new pair of Batman gym shoes. The pair he has been wearing don't really fit him well; they are way too big and have a tendency to fall off his feet. When he first started wearing them, I didn't realize how big they were on him and then he got really attached to them. I knew it would be a battle to get him into the new shoes, so I took the old ones last night and hid them. This morning, Danny was really upset that he couldn't find the old shoes. I told him any number of lies about the whereabouts of the shoes, none of which comforted him. He really wanted to go to the library, but did not want to cave in and put on the new shoes, which he claimed were too small for him.

He seriously cried for over half an hour about his old shoes and how he didn't want to wear the new ones. I tried not to make a big deal of it, but calmly explained that if he wanted to leave the house, he would have to wear shoes. Just as I was about to give up on getting out of the house today, Danny asked me to help him with his shoes. With a few sniffles and my help, he got his shoes on and never looked back. He wore the things all morning and never complained. I have no idea what made him finally acquiesce; in fact, I am not even sure why he resisted in the first place. Difficulty dealing with something new? Didn't like the feel of the new shoes? Who knows?

After the library, I took the kids through the Wendy's drive-thru since we had no food in the house. For some reason, Charlotte was not eating her chicken nuggets, so when the time came to share the Frosty with the kids, she couldn't have any. She wailed and protested that she wanted her ice cream. I repeatedly told her she had to eat her nuggets first (because I am sure those deep-fried chicken pieces are so much healthier than the Frosty, but whatever), but she just screamed and screamed. I kept having to move the Frosty to all sorts of places to get it out of her reach. The screaming started riling up Danny, so finally after what felt like hours of her wails, I relocated her to her bedroom so we could enjoy our Frosty in peace.

Charlotte stayed in her room less than 2 minutes, but when she exited, she calmly returned to the table and ate all the rest of her lunch with absolutely no protests.

Again, I have no idea what precipitated this change of heart. I think my kids just want to remind me that I have no clue as to what is going on in their heads. This is their way of maintaining control, I think, because even though I managed to get them to do what I wanted them to do, I don't know how it happened. And I have no idea if it will ever happen again.

8 comments:

lilmomthatcould.com said...

It just means it's working. And what is I have no clue:)

Quirky Mom said...

Crap, that sounds like a day in my life for sure. Lots of the things I can predict will cause a problem (like Danny's shoes), but they still drive me bonkers. Some things (like Charlotte's nugget/Frosty situation) catch me completely off-guard. Either way, ugh.

In both cases, Apple probably would've behaved very similarly. She is very motivated by rewards (going to the library or getting some Frosty), so as long as the reward I offer is potent enough, this rarely fails. Except when it does. Those are the times I really want to hit my head against a wall.

~ April ~ said...

Ha, I can definitely relate, although my kids don't always react to rewards/bribes. (But, hey, that's just more Frosty for me! *wink*)

~ April ~ said...

Oh, and if you havent' seen already, I posted about your sipping applesauce through a straw idea on my blog the other day. Big hit- thanks!

Kim said...

sounds to me like you stuck to your word and they realized you weren't budging. in the end they realized it was mom's way or not at all. that's called good parenting skills where i come from. :)

allaboutpotential said...

I agree with Kim. The second you let up & give in to the screaming, they'll try it again next time. (Except you'll be "stronger" this time, so they'll wail longer, knowing that eventually mom will cave")

Never cave. That's the sound of me clapping for a great mom!

Kia (Good Enough Mama) said...

I hear you, sista! I went thru several of these situations just TODAY with my little buggar. I think they WANT us to go insane. It's a ploy, I'm certain. ;)

Yum....Wendy's!

Elizabeth Channel said...

I'm inspired! When I pull these things, mine usually just scream for 45 minutes...usually in front of other people...maybe I should let them go for 46 minutes?