Monday, December 8, 2008

speaking of heartwarming holiday traditions....

Charlotte has yet again managed to keep alive one of our most consistent holiday tradition. I heard a crash in the living room and then frantic screaming. Charlotte had pulled the Christmas tree down on herself.

Again.
She was writhing beneath a pile of tree branches and broken ornaments.

I am pretty sure this has happened every year since we have lived in this house. I know for sure Danny pulled the tree down the year Charlotte was born. Actually, he did it the very day Char was born. We often blame that (along with all the other stress he brought on) for Charlotte's very early arrival. I also have pictures of Charlotte with the small tree at her feet when she was one year old. This is actually already the second time our tree has toppled this year. The first time was our small 3-foot tree and Danny brought that one crashing down. In his defense, the tree was very unstable and toppled easily. This time, Charlotte was after the candy canes I just hung on the tree today.

Note to self: do not put candy canes on tree and do not allow Charlotte within a 10-foot radius of tree. Can I get a restraining order out on her?

So, now I get to redecorate the tree for the THIRD time this year and it isn't even the middle of the month. Sigh. I am beginning to feel my Christmas spirit seeping away.

9 comments:

Kim said...

LOL As far as traditions go this one is certainly unique but at least it's entertaining to hear about.

I used to have a cat that would climb our Christmas tree and knock it over. I stop Meechi in his tracks if I see him going near the tree.

allaboutpotential said...

How "fun" for you.

Well, at least I think you rock! Please visit my blog for a "Measure Up" award. You deserve it!

a Tonggu Momma said...

You totally need to capture it on video. They can only improve upon their techniques if they are provided with the means to visualize and analyze.

I'm not too Christmas cheery this month either. For the first time in my life, decorating and all of the holiday "stuff" feels like a chore.

bernthis said...

Just a thought: A SMALL tree with decorations they make so that if they pull it down you don't lose your ornaments. My other suggestion: Convert to Judaism. I'm Jewish and it works for me. My kid has never pulled the menorah on top of herself.

goodfountain said...

My tree has gone down twice so far already too. I put sooo few ornaments on it. Just beads and bows. Ess calls the beads her necklace ... if that tells you anything. I didn't want to do anything breakable or with those hook-thingies - I thought I'd be safe with beads and bows. How wrong I was.

Patty - go easy on yourself and take most of the ornaments off! Will make putting it back up so much faster. :-)

mrsbear said...

That's deserving of a Charlie Brown "ugh". Maybe a little safety perimeter around the tree, think chairs and police tape. I hope you don't have to decorate a fourth time, just having to decorate once can be enough of a chore.

goodmum said...

ohmigosh, patty, i'm so sorry, but this is hilarious to me today. i'm over-tired and over-worked, so i might be delirious, but this is hilarious. i'm so sorry.

~ April ~ said...

Yikes! I think this is definitely one of those things where you can only reassure yourself that one day you WILL laugh about it. ((HUGS)) in the meantime, though.

lonestar said...

Oh no! We have had several broken ornaments (took a while to convince certain boys in this family that just because an ornament is ROUND doesn't mean it will BOUNCE!), but amazingly enough, no toppled trees so far.

Maybe pack up the ornaments for now and go with ribbon or bows, something that will more or less still be on the tree if it falls and won't break?