Thursday, November 20, 2008

thanksgiving

I had to give a talk in church last week on gratitude and I found the most wonderful quote. It's simple, but it really spoke to me. "Hold fast to the blessings which God has provided for you. Yours is not the task to gain them, they are here; yours is the part of cherishing them” (J. Reuben Clark). Rather than focusing on what blessings I would like to have (you know, skinny thighs, obedient children, enough money to buy Pop Tarts without thinking twice), I should cherish the ones I already do have, which are really too many to mention.

I have never been a completely positive person. On the other hand, I don't think I am totally negative either, though I suppose my last several posts might say something different about me. I don't buy into a Pollyanna mentality; some things that happen to us just defy a positive attitude. However, what I am noticing is that often what I am most negative about are things that are relatively trivial. So, my goal, at least for this month is to look at life more positively. To see the abundant blessings that I am in possession of, because as Thomas S. Monson said, “Think to thank. In these three words is the finest capsule course for a happy marriage, a formula for enduring friendship, and a pattern for personal happiness.”

We'll see how this goes.

6 comments:

Elizabeth Channel said...

That quote is going on the kitchen cabinets! A grand one!

Kim said...

I love the quote and it is a good one to try and live by. I don't live life with a sunshine and lollipops outlook either. Like you, I believe there are things in life that some things are too hard to face with a positive attitude.

Good luck on keeping up the positive attitude.

Amy Jane said...

I'm just like you, Patty, as you already know. I need to work on being less pessimistic and more grateful for all of the blessings in my life. Let's do it together! I KNOW I'm thankful for your friendship.

~ April ~ said...

That's an awesome quote! Thank you for sharing it.

~ April ~ said...

I know I've already commented on this post, but I just wanted to say THANK YOU! Oh my goodness! I received the gift this afternoon, and it totally made my day. That brush is PERFECT. (Ironically, I actually posted on my blog earlier today about wanting to get another brush). The rounded back makes it easy to hold, and I'm able to brush firmer. And the kids love the squishy ball. And while I haven't got him to hold the Floam, Isaiah did touch it, so that's a start!

Thank you so much. I truly feel blessed to have found such wonderful friends via blogging, even though we just "met" not too long ago.

Shellie said...

Love that message! I agree, somehow it's the stupid stuff I'm too negative about. I'll take that challenge on too!