Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thank you!!! And our impromptu dance club....

Wow, I have been seriously awed by the supportive words and encouragement I have received from you all. When I first started this blog, I figured it would be more like a journal. I never imagined I would meet so many wonderful people who give me the pep talks and support I need. Thank you so much. And I agree with you all about the ASD diagnosis. After getting it off my chest and reading your wonderful comments, I feel so peaceful, so thank you!

On a lighter note, we had such a fun time in our little house last night. My kids' room was turned into an impromptu discotech and it was hysterical. It all started when my husband bought the latest Killers album "Day and Age" off of itunes. We are both Killers fans, mostly because we love their music, but also because my husband knows the drummer. They used to record music together back in Vegas before Ronnie joined the Killers and my husband gave up his dream of being a rock star in favor of going to college and becoming an engineer.

Anyway, I had listened to a bit of the new cd earlier in the day and Charlotte seriously rocked to it. I have over 5 minutes of footage of her shaking her booty and it is so cute; she has some pretty crazy moves. When Bil got home I wanted to show him her reaction, so we popped in the cd. It was like magic. The music completely took hold of the kids and they danced their little hearts out. For seriously 7 songs. They kept entreating me to join them, but I had to take many breaks--bouncing makes me need to pee and feels uncomfortable depending on how the baby is lying.

Anyway, I felt like I was back in the 80s at the mixers we had in high school, sans the big hair, leg warmers, and the odor of Draakar cologne. Charlotte was doing the pogo dance, where you hop up and down incessantly and Danny was slam dancing, only instead of slamming into people, he was thankfully throwing himself from the bed onto the floor. Every time a new track would start, Charlotte would yell, "Hooray! Another song!" Both the kids danced themselves into the ground and were wiped out by bedtime. The really exciting part? Danny did not get overstimulated at all. He was really excited, but danced completely appropriately, meaning he never crashed into someone or started screeching or anything.

It made me wish we could take the kids to the Killers concert we will be attending in January in Chicago. They would love it, though I would never subject their tiny ears to that sort of abuse. And yes, I will be 6 months pregnant at a rock concert. Actually, the last Killers concert we went to, I was pregnant with Charlotte, so maybe this is becoming a tradition.

9 comments:

beckbot said...

oh ho ho ho ho, that is awesome! I like The Killers, too. re: Danny, trust your instincts. From what I've read about autism, it manifests itself in different ways in different people, even changing in one person over time. I've probably shared this very special quote with you before, but as my husband always says,"Do your job and do it well, all the rest can go to hell." In this case, your job is mothering and you are giving it everything you've got. My very inexpert opinion is to keep doing what you and Bil feel is right for Danny. Only the two of you can see the whole picture (home vs. school behavior, for instance) anyway.

Elizabeth Channel said...

Love the Killers! So does Edward!

goodfountain said...

Never even heard of The Killers.

But your post is great and sounds like a truly fab fun time was had in your house!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

lonestar said...

That sounds like a lot of fun! We're Killers fans too :)

I kwym about wishing you could take your kids with you to things like that... there are a lot of places I'd love to take the boys but it would just be too overstimulating and wouldn't be fun for anyone :/.

lilmomthatcould.com said...

Love the Killers too! Have fun!
Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

Casdok said...

Sounds like great fun. I loe wonderful moments like these.

mrsbear said...

I love The Killers, just watched them perform on a rerun of SNL last night and I told my husband I wanted the newest CD for Christmas. I'm very easy to please. It's those wonderful little spontaneous moments of happiness I love. Glad to hear you're feeling better. A concert at six months preggo, how cool is that?

bernthis said...

My daughter loves to dance with me in the living room. I'm going to listen to the Killers now b/c i've never heard of them which should not be hard to believe b/c up until very recently I only listened to disco. yup, loser, that's me. :)

Shellie said...

Sounds fun!