Thursday, November 20, 2008

potty training progress...or the lack thereof

So, it has been Potty Bootcamp at my house the last couple of weeks. Charlotte has spent a fair amount of time on the toilet and no luck yet. The other day, she watched an entire Kipper video, which lasted about an hour, all while sitting on the toilet. But she did not pee. That is, until about 10 minutes after getting off the toilet. She peed on the kitchen floor, and there was a lot of pee, so she had to be holding it.

In an attempt to turn this into a teachable moment, I said to Charlotte, "Do we pee on the kitchen floor?"

Char said, "No."

I said, "Charlotte, where do we go pee-pee?"

She said, brightly, "Under the chair."

Not much progress happening here. And yet another person told me yesterday, "Wow, I can't believe you are having such difficulty with potty training Charlotte. Girls are so easy to train usually."

Thanks. Thanks for that.

9 comments:

Elizabeth Channel said...

Perfect! She'll get it. Sue took a while, too. (And I got tired of all that talk about girls being easier...my boys were done at 2 and a half!)

beckbot said...

When you think about it, most people are almost exclusively informed by their own experience or perspective. I can't count how many times I've heard "boys are easier to raise" AND "girls are easier to raise." Final conclusion: it's hard to raise kids, regardless of gender. Each kid and each stage they go through presents unique challenges for us to puzzle over. And potty training sucks.

a Tonggu Momma said...

Ha! That person never parented Charlotte. Or the Tongginator. It took FOREVER with the Tongginator. As it is, she is nearly five and she still dribbles in her panties nearly every day. With other children, not a huge issue... but a little spot of wet on a sensory kiddo... multiple loads of laundry. Hang in there!

Amy Jane said...

Patty,

Just stay the course, and don't sweat it! She'll potty train when she's ready, and in the meantime, just be cool. If she senses that you're frantic and worried about it, then she'll probably resist even more. Hang in there, and keep us updated.

Quirky Mom said...

It's been hard for me to be completely laid back about potty training, but I have to be. It was extra hard the day Apple peed buckets full in my brand new car ... on the day we brought it home from the dealer.

Ugh. I feel your pain.

mrsbear said...

Potty training is tough, I've done it three times, boys and girls, and I'm still having all sorts of anxiety over having to train the last one. So far my five year old son has been the easiest.

kia (good enough mama) said...

Like you need someone to point out the obvious, huh?

She'll get it. When's SHE's ready. Not before. Probably when you give up. ;)

Lori at Spinning Yellow said...

Potty training totally sucks. And for what its worth, my daughter, now 4 and a half still pees on the floor on a fairly regular basis. I like what beckbot said about how each person really only knows their own situation. Amen to that!!

Shellie said...

Ok, those girls train easy people can just go jump off a pier. I think my DD may still have accidents at 17! The thing that got her interested was Snow White underwear. But she was three and a something or other, I think almost 4. Even a year or two later she would "forget" to go to the bathroom and then tell me, "next time I need to go, remind me." That would be oh so helpful if only I could create a telepathic connection with her bladder! Hang in there! And read my comment to that first post, because I know I must be like a month or so behind here.