Saturday, November 22, 2008

Oh, Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree!


When we first moved to the town we are living in, my mother gave us her old artificial Christmas tree. This was the tree that I grew up with, so it was old and pretty beat up and out of shape, but we were grateful to save the money on a new tree. So what that the branches were bent up, right? Plus, there was a lot of sentimental value in that old tree.

Our first Christmas here, we got down the tree and decorations and lights and were eagerly anticipating decorating our new home. Imagine our dismay when the top to the tree was nowhere to be found. Apparently, we had left it in my parents' attic in Chicago. There was no way to get the top in time for Christmas, so we improvised. I bent all the branches upwards to camouflage the missing top. The result? A really squat and short Christmas tree, but definitely one with character. See above picture.

This year, Danny has been begging me to decorate for Christmas since early October. I had planned on waiting until the day after Thanksgiving, since I feel like that is a sorely neglected holiday. But, today Danny was being so agreeable and I was looking for something to do with the kids while Bil was away all afternoon and evening for Church meetings. So, I thought, "What the heck?"

While Charlotte napped, Danny and I climbed the attic stairs numerous times and retrieved all my Christmas decorations. We had so much fun delving into the boxes and rediscovering all the treasures buried therein. I put out all my Christmas teapots and the stockings and smiled when I found the reindeer wall hanging that I sewed myself before I had kids. Danny played with the beads for the tree and tore apart much of the styrofoam that protected the breakables. We laughed and smiled.

Then, we realized that something important was missing. The Christmas tree. I found all my ornaments and doodads and lights, but no tree. Puzzled, I sat and thought and suddenly I had a hazy vision of me loading the tree into my car to take to Catholic Charities last year. I totally forgot that I had decided to get rid of the tree and buy a new one. It was practically falling apart, so I figured the time had come. Of course, I missed the sales last year, so I planned on buying one this year. The thing is, I had forgotten. Totally slipped my mind. I think I have a little problem with my memory and Christmas trees. Kind of weird, but I suppose it is better than having a penchant for forgetting really important things, like say, feeding my kids.

So, here we are with all our cool ornaments and no tree for Danny to decorate. Luckily, by this point, after all the lugging, dragging and unpacking of boxes, Danny was worn out. He laid on the couch and vegged and didn't seem that upset when we realized we would have to buy a new tree. It's always nice when he responds well to disappointments.

9 comments:

Lori at Spinning Yellow said...

This is something I would do! Well, at least it all turned out OK and I guess you have some tree shopping to do. You can probably get a good deal given the economy and all.

lilmomthatcould.com said...

Funny- I would do that too. I want to get rid of our tree- and every year I say I want a real Christmas Tree- but can't bear to throw it away, even though it is a little crooked:)

Amy Jane said...

Time to hit the Walmart Christmas department! :) Once you get your new tree up and decorated, please post a pic!

kia (good enough mama) said...

Sorry, but I DID have a wee giggle about this. Only because I had a similar thing happen last year. The Christmas before last, I somewhat spontaneously decided to ditch our old tree when I took it down, due to the fact that there were more "needles" on the floor than on the branches of the tree. So I put it out to the curb that day. Then Little Man and I waited...I told Little Man that daddy was going to be mad that I threw away our tree. Little Man pointed to a pickup truck at the curb and told me that our tree was going "bye-byes" and would daddy still be mad? No, I replied. Because he won't know now until NEXT Christmas. HA! It was fun last Christmas - explaining to Hubby that the tree was "gone." :)

mrsbear said...

Whoops. Sounds like a detail I'd have missed too. Good thing your soon wasn't too disappointed, we always get a real tree, but more and more I'm thinking artificial is the way to go. Farewell to your old reliable tree, it actually didn't look too bad in the photo, way to recover from the missing tip.

mrsbear said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elizabeth Channel said...

Isn't that awesome how he handled that. Issues like that I usually hold my breath...

At least you get a brand-spanking new tree!

Elizabeth said...

We put up our christmas tree on sunday too, well we had a tree....hehehe thats really funny. I forget things all the time too.

Shellie said...

You are so off the hook! But I bet not for long. I forget big stuff like that too. On purpose, I didn't even pull out the tree and just decorated as close to the ceiling as possible because the twins and the pseudotwins were just too destructive.