Tuesday, October 28, 2008

word to the wise

A while back Charlotte was in the bathtub and kept pointing to body parts and naming them. She pointed to her privates and said, "This is my booty, mommy." For some reason, I decided to be pedantic and told her the real name of her privates, not thinking of the possible implications for me. First, she started going around the house, telling anyone who would listen, "This is my vagina." I thought smugly of how precocious and smart she is and patted myself on the back for not being embarrassed to give things their proper names. Then, she started randomly inserting the word "vagina" into sentences, such as, "Look, I have a vagina car."

Somewhere along the line, she also learned the word "penis," so now she can point to and label everyone's privates in the family. Just yesterday, as I was using the facilities, Charlotte ran up to me, bent down and peered between my legs and proudly announced, "Mommy, that is your vagina!"

Anyway, it has gotten a bit more complicated now that she is not afraid to say these words in public. The other day, in the public bathroom of a store, she said, "Mommy, you are going poop" (which I WASN'T!!!) and "Look, there is your vagina."

I am getting a bit worried because yesterday after a particularly wet diaper, I blew on her to dry her off and she said really loudly, " Mommy, don't pinch my vagina" repeatedly. Of course her pronunciation is impeccable, so if anyone were to hear her, they would have no doubt as to what she is saying. Thank goodness the windows weren't open or I would have been reported to DCFS...

So, a word to the wise: be careful what words you teach your child. If they happen to have any potential to be embarrassing to you, as the mother, then really think twice about teaching them.

9 comments:

goodfountain said...

[giggle giggle]

Hopefully she'll forget about them, and soon!

Elizabeth Channel said...

As clever as she is, I'll bet she doesn't forget!

(I think I've told this story before, quite possibly to you, but when Edward was little, he exclaimed to a full public bathroom about the "tee tee coming out of all those little wires in my bottom.")

Amy Jane said...

Ah, Patty, how your story made me smile wistfully, remembering last Valentine's Day. Here's an excerpt from my blog post that day:

Today in the commissary, Nick pointed to a nearby woman and shouted "Mom! She's a GIRL! She has a va-GI-na!" I'm not pulling your leg. I know it's a cliche, but it really did happen. Luckily, the woman had a well-developed sense of humor, so it was much less mortifying than it might have been. Frankly, I thought it was very funny, but I had to keep the extent of my amusement under wraps. See, the other day, Nick asked me if I had a penis, and I wasn't going to lie, so one thing led to another, and I had to let the word "vagina" out of the bag. Mind you, I never would have taught him this word yet if he hadn't pressed the issue. I took pains to explain to him that we only talk about penises and vaginas at home, and not out in public, but I knew (I just KNEW!) that this knowledge of his would come back to haunt me sooner or later. Turns out, it was sooner!

So far, my V-Day has been much more about vaginas than Valentines. :)

a Tonggu Momma said...

The Tongginator had labial adhesions at age two. Not knowing quite how to handle the explanation, we told her why we had to put the medicine on her labia. From that moment on, the Tongginator told everyone who would listen that she had a boo-boo on her "ladybug."

Quirky Mom said...

Apple talks about her vagina (missing the "va" however) ALL. THE. TIME.

The other day during our home visit from the EI service coordinator she announced that her 'gina hurt. Oh geez...

She has also recently learned about her urethra, and has proudly told a few people about the "tube in my 'gina"!

Fun times!

Susan said...

LOL ohh she is too smart for her own good:)

bernthis said...

Hey, I think your kid and my kid were seperated at birth.

mrsbear said...

Bet you're kicking yourself for that one. I've had to tell my five year old on occasion not to talk about penises at school, also that testicles are not tentacles, those are what octopus have. Having kids lends a whole new meaning to the word humiliation.

Christina Shaver said...

That is really funny!! It reminded me that earlier this summer my four year old asked my husband's friend, "Wanna see my penis?"

Ah, the innocence.