Friday, October 24, 2008

Contact lens wearers, beware!


I am so angry, I could scream. I called a couple of weeks ago to order my new supply of contact lenses. I have been wearing contacts since junior high. When I lived in Chicago, all I had to do was call my doctor every year and he would order new ones for me. Every 5 years or so, they would require that I come in for a check-up before ordering new ones. Seemed entirely reasonable to me.


Not so anymore. Apparently, a new law has been passed this year which requires contact lens wearers to get a check-up every single year before getting their prescription renewed. I was furious. I do not need a check-up that often--if you wear glasses you only need to go every two years. Why the discrepancy? Accoring to my family doctor and articles I have read, you really only need eye screenings (for glaucoma, etc.) every 5 years. Plus, I happen to be pregnant which is exactly when you don't want to be changing your prescription. All those hormones can actually affect your vision for the better, but it doesn't always stay that way, so experts advise not changing your prescription until all the hormones have gone back to normal.


I thought I could get around this ridiculous law by ordering my contacts online, but the greedy doctors have even covered that avenue. Before you can order your contacts, the website has to contact your doctor to make sure your prescription has not expired. So, the only way I am going to get new contacts is to give in and spend $100 for a check-up that I do not need.

I am irate. I just don't think the health field should be allowed to gouge patients this way. The doctors are only forcing you to spend more money and it is so unfair. It has nothing to do with our health, but everything to do with the money they want to make. As if they don't make enough with their overpriced check-ups and glasses frames. I think I am going to start writing letters to politicians or something.


I am definitely considering switching to glasses, since I don't have to pay anything at all for that. I just am not that thrilled with how I look in them. On the other hand, they do seem to mask the crow's feet I am developing, so there is that....

4 comments:

a Tonggu Momma said...

I am a four-eyes.

Elizabeth Channel said...

I am equally incensed--so much so that I wear my two-week contacts for usually 6 weeks to save money.

I know it's probably dumb but...

I also don't have glasses because my insurance pays for either glasses or contacts...

Just think about how cute HelloKittieMama looks in hers though!

bernthis said...

I know what you mean. Every time I go see my internist he makes me swear I will come back for a follow up even though I don't need one. I tell him okay and then I don't go back b/c it is totally unnecessary.

kia (good enough mama) said...

Where'd you go, chicklet? Did you attack a contact lens-seller? Are you in jail now? Don't they let you use puters in jail? C'mon....