Friday, August 29, 2008

never underestimate the power of treats

For the first time this week, Danny was happy when I picked him up from school. Previous days he was happy to be going home, but communicated in some way that he was unhappy I had left him there that morning. Not so today. The reason? Every Friday if the kids have been good throughout the week they get to pick a treat from the goody box in Miss Angie's class. Danny pulled his out (Lick-em sticks) as soon as he entered the car. He made a big production of showing it to me and Charlotte.

It actually comforted me to know that my son's affection can be bought by treats. At the very least, they can make him excited about school. Also, Danny must have been pretty well-behaved this week if he earned a treat. I wasn't totally worried about his behavior, but when he gets overstimulated, he can get a bit hyper.

So, it seems the tide is turning due, in no small part, to colored sugar and candy.

3 comments:

Stonefox (otherwise known as Heidi) said...

That is great Patty! I never imagined that I would adore those sweet treats either, but isn't it great when they play such a great part in your child's development?

kia (good enough mama) said...

Awesome! Also, what a smart teacher - giving out sugary treats on FRIDAY afternoon!!!! :)

Susan said...

Blessed sugar- Good Job Danny!!!