Monday, August 18, 2008

more substitutes for band-aids

So, I think I may have mentioned before that my son likes band-aids. A lot. So much so that his wooden caterpillar was sporting a band-aid on one of his antennae for weeks. The band-aids seem to have become his latest ploy to extend his bedtime. Soon after we have put him to bed, he will come out of his room (this happens a couple times a week) telling us he needs a band-aid. Sometimes it is for an actual cut or scrape, sometimes for a mosquito bite, and other times for what I can only assume is an imaginary "owie."

Most times, Danny just goes and gets one himself and applies it and returns to bed. He's gotten quite dexterous with the whole opening the wrapper and applying the band-aid; I have been impressed. Lately, however, he has had a bit of trouble finding band-aids since we were running low and the box had gotten crushed weeks ago and subsequently thrown out. So, he has had to dig through my little bathroom drawer which is strewn with all kinds of miscellany: tiny bottles of lotion, used emory boards, old makeup, even a few kids' toys.


Last night Danny insisted he needed yet another band-aid, but we were all out. We didn't even have any more nasal strips. I promised him I would buy some more band-aids the next day, but he would not be swayed in his quest for a bandage. At this point it was past 10:00. The kids had gone to bed quite late last night and I was exhausted and desperate for them to get to sleep. So, I went to the bathroom hoping to scrounge up some rogue band-aid that had yet gone undetected. Alas, no band-aid was to be found. But I did find something that in a burst of resourcefulness, totally worked. A panty-liner. I wrapped the panty-liner around Danny's forefinger and he was quite content with the results. Bil just shook his head and laughed, but hey, the kid went to bed, and I was finally able to sit down and relax. Win-win.

7 comments:

goodfountain said...

Hysterical!! The mental image of that.. He's going to be SO embarrassed one day when he hears this story again and knows what a pantyliner is.

Incidentally, my Chee has the opposite problem - terrified of band-aids. Sigh.

Amy Jane said...

Patty,

You kill me! Thanks for adding laughter to my day...

kia said...

HiGH-larious!! I hope you took pics. If you didn't, shame on you! I want photographic evidence. You know, for posterity. Or something. or just toots and giggles... :)

Patty O. said...

Kia,

I did think of taking a picture if only to embarrass him with when he is older, but couldn't find the camera, and I was just way too tired. Bummer. but this will probably not be my last opportunity....

Elizabeth Channel said...

That is so, so funny! Reminds me of the time my 3-yr-old at the time placed a similar "liner" on my toddler's head at the time in the middle of a store (unbeknownst to me). People were laughing and pointing.

I was shopping obliviously.

kia said...

Psst! I've nominated you for an award.

hellokittiemama said...

First, I came here to 'check you out' after the comment you left over at autismsucks - thank you because your comment made me feel so much more 'human' and OK with what I wrote/ am going through.

Now, on the band-aid thing.. My kids are OBSESSED with band-aids to the point of ridiculous. I'm hiding all of my maxipads now, thanks.

I do have a picture of my daughter who got a hold of a box of pads and stickied them all over herself.. she was about 1 at the time!!!!