Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I've been tagged

Well, my new and cool friend, Elizabeth at ThreeChannels has tagged me with this cool meme. I hope I can think of 6 quirks as funny as hers.


Here are the Rules:
1. Link the person who tagged you.

2. Mention the rules on your blog.

3. Tell about 6 unspectacular quirks you possess.

4. Tag 6 following bloggers by linking them.

5. Leave a comment on each of the tagged blogger’s blogs letting them know they’ve been tagged.




1. OK, this first one isn't really a quirk, but more of a way to share some fun news. My blog has been highlighted on Mommytalk in Susan's Snippets. (I was going to link you to it, but you have to be a registered member and when I tried to register, something went wrong. I'll have to go back later.) Anyway, I feel almost like a celebrity having my blog be picked as a favorite of an editor on mommytalk, but I suppose I should confess that Susan (the editor) is my cousin....nepotism rocks, huh?


2. I never put on makeup, especially lipstick, until I have brushed my teeth. I have no idea why.


3. Instead of swearing (well, ok, I do occasionally let a real swear word slip out) I complain in Cantonese. Usually I will say something like "Gaau cho a?" which means roughly "you have got to be kidding me!" or "give me a break." I also regularly use the word "maahfaahn" which means "pain in the neck" or "trouble." I lived in Hong Kong for almost 2 years, and though it was a long time ago, these words (and others) have stuck with me. There just doesn't seem to be an English equivalent that really sounds as good or means quite the same thing.


4. I am constantly in search of a new hairstyle almost as obsessively as those who search for the Holy Grail or Fountain of Youth. Deep down, I think I harbor this hope that if I ever find THE perfect hairstyle for me, all will then be well with the universe. Or at least I will look like a model. Yes, this perfect hairstyle will make me taller, thinner and just much more gorgeous. Sigh. Ironically, according to my husband, whenever I am in search of the style, I almost always find a great style in a magazine that is almost identical to the one I already have. Then, I am always disappointed when I look the same.


5. I have to have the windows rolled down when I drive. I HATE to be stuffy. I almost don't even like air conditioning because I hate stale air. Of course, 90 degree weather is even more unendurable, so I deal with the A.C. when I have to. Unfortunately, my husband really dislikes having the wind blow through his hair. I think this dates back to when, as a teenager and young adult, he had really, really long hair--like down to the middle of his back. If you have ever seen my husband, this will probably surprise you, because a more straightlaced, conservative engineer you could not find. Yet, there is another rock-and-roll-band side of him that you will find if you dig long enough.


Wait, the quirk about my husband was way more interesting than the one about me. Oh well, I am not ashamed to ride on his coat tails.


6. I used to have this really cool teapot collection. It kind of got out of hand when my mom and sister and other friends kept buying me pots for special occasions. I had mentioned that I liked teapots, and all of a sudden, I had me a collection. I had probably more than 2 dozen pots and cups and saucers. It was an eclectic collection, some beautiful, some whimsical, some even a bit strange. I had a Boston tea party teapot my brother got me on a vacation. I had a pyramid shaped pot that I painted myself, a pot that had teddy bears on it (I never really did like this one...), etc. You may wonder why I am writing in the past tense. That would be because just yesterday, my entire collection (but three) was decimated when the shelf they rested on somehow came free from the wall and came crashing down onto the kitchen floor. I was sad as I swept up the remains, but at least the most sentimental ones somehow survived. The teapot my grandmother gave me and the one my husband gave me as a wedding present are still miraculously intact. And, look on the bright side, I now have many fewer doo-dads to collect dust. And thank goodness no one got hurt!


Now it's your turn:

My Shore

There's a Salamander in My Slipper

Lil' Mom That Could

Colette's Family Circus

Spinning Yellow

Chanelle and Tristan

Have fun!

10 comments:

Elizabeth Channel said...

OK, that teapot story is so funny! Perhaps that will happen to the Hummel Figure collection given to me by my husband's grandmother.

Wait, no, that can't happen. They are safely boxed away in the attic now that they have practically NO VALUE ON EBAY anymore. Darn. Why didn't I sell them at their zenith?

Anyhoo, this is funny stuff! Thanks for playing along!

Stonefox (otherwise known as Heidi) said...

I got your link off of Elizabeth's post. I loved getting to know you a little bit! So you were in HK for a couple years? Mafan is one of my favorite words too- but I speak mandarin, not cantonese.

Amy Jane said...

Patty,

What is this strange word, "meme"? What does it mean? How does one pronounce it?

What a shocking, but funny, story about your teapots! Thank goodness you're not too broken up about it (pun intended).

Don't have time to play the game right now, but I will, I will....

Amy

Stonefox (otherwise known as Heidi) said...

Oh my, the Butt Paste experience...that is HILARIOUS! You should definitely share that one.

Yes, i am living in Asia, which is where I learned/am learning mandarin. Some days I love it, some I want to stay indoors and not go out. I take it you would like to come back over to this side?

Feel free to add your link to my blog so others can visit your site and enjoy your "quirks." I am one for sharing the fun!

kia said...

How much do I LOVE that you "complain" in cantonese? ;) I like that word, "maahhhhfaahhn". Sounds like cursing to me! I think I might adopt that one myself. Would you mind? ;)

Also, I do the hairstyle thing, too. Only thing is, I think I've found my perfect cut, but all is not well in the world. You might want to abandon ship on that quest... Just saying...

Elizabeth Channel said...

I've bestowed an award upon your blog, and you! See my site for details!

Have a grand day!

Casdok said...

I shall have to try and remember some of your words for complaining!!

lilmomthatcould.com said...

Thanks for the meme- I have something to write on Monday!

Tara said...

I just wanted to say thanks so much for stopping by my blog and commenting... I really really appreciated it.

kia (good enough mama) said...

hi again! i just wanted to let you know that i've nominated you for an award! come over to my blog to see what you've won! :)