Tuesday, August 12, 2008

back to school haircut

So, I finally bought all of Danny's school supplies, which luckily was a much more pleasant experience than registering him was. In preparation for school, I have been making a list of what I need to do. There isn't too much left, besides dig out his backpack, get a new thermos, and give Danny a haircut. This last one is the one I dread. Danny has always hated haircuts. He doesn't even like his hair combed, let alone cut.

We have developed a routine over the years; I am not sure if it is the best, but it is the only one I can think of. First off, we always cut his hair at home. We started when he was really young and I knew taking him to a salon was out of the question. I still don't know how he would react to a stranger cutting his hair, so we stick to home cuts. Then, because he will not let me near him with a pair of scissors, we use the clippers. They seem safer to me, because with that little shield on them, there is virtually no way we can cut him, unlike with scissors.

The problem with the clippers, though, is the noise and the vibrations. He absolutely hates those clippers. As soon as he sees Bil pull them out of the linen closet, he starts to whimper and runs away. I have to hold him in my lap while Bil cuts his hair and it almost always makes me cry the way Danny reacts. He has gotten better; he has evolved from screaming as if we were cutting his scalp and trying frantically to escape my lap, to clinging to me while crying the whole time. It just breaks my heart. This is another reason why we use the clippers: we cut his hair as short as possible so we only have to live through this ordeal every 3 or 4 months.

The only thing that comforts me is that he recovers quite quickly, as long as he didn't get any hair in his mouth (because that can cause a cataclysmic meltdown). We typically offer a nice big treat, usually in the form of some candy or popsicle and while he eats his treat, he relaxes quite a bit. We also make quite a show of putting the clippers away so he knows for sure it is all over. I wish there was a better way. Do any of you have any problems in this area? What do you do? Any ideas of how to make this less traumatic? Please share, because Danny is getting really shaggy!

3 comments:

Amy Jane said...

Patty,

The haircutting thing can be very tricky, indeed. Nick dislikes it, but no longer reacts quite as intensely as Danny. I don't know that there's much more you can do than what you're already doing. Giving him a reward is a great idea, and trying to keep the hair out of his mouth! Nick hates that, too. I think the biggest key is for you guys not to make a big deal out of it and act all apologetic for traumatizing him. Just be very matter of fact and try not to "indulge" his reaction. Ya know what I mean? Hopefully, he'll outgrow it soon. Does it help if he sees you cut Bil's hair?

Thanks for your kudos re: my lipids. And I'm so glad to hear that you're starting to feel better!

kia (good enough mama) said...

Luckily, little man is very good about getting his hair cut. I think, for him, the noise of the trimmers is kind of soothing.

Have you considered giving D some headphones to wear? Let him listen to some music or a show on t.v. that he likes, to drown out the noise of the trimmer?

That's the only one I can think of...

Let us know how it goes!

lilmomthatcould.com said...

Yes- I have been there we have gotten better- It works best when E cuts hi hair the cuts Nolan's. I always thought of trying one of those shields you use in the bath to keep the soap out of the eyes, like a soft visior- but Nolan got better at it! We still struggle but we don't have to put up with the high pitch screaming!