Monday, April 28, 2008

Blindsided

OK, so I just got back from a meeting with the co-chairs for my MOPS group (that stands for Mothers of Preschoolers, for those of you not in the know). I thought the purpose of the meeting was to discuss the possibility of me being the Discusssion Group Leader for next year. Instead, it was to inform me that I do not qualify (and never will qualify) for a leadership position in MOPS. Why, you may ask?

Because I am Mormon.

Even though it is a non-denominational Christian organization and I am a Christian (the name of my church is, after all, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) I apparently do not believe the right things, according to MOPS International. After an almost hour-long meeting, I am still unclear as to what I believe that goes against MOPS beliefs. Part of the problem, apparently, is that as a Mormon, I do not believe in the Trinity. I instead believe that the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are three distinct personages, not three all rolled up into one. Not sure why that would be a sticking point.....Seems a bit like splitting hairs to me, but whatever.

Also, they have a problem with the Book of Mormon, even though they admitted never having read the Book of Mormon, and I would be willing to bet that the higher ups in MOPS never have either. Apparently, according to some websites, the Book of Mormon contradicts the Bible. I love when people say things like that without ever having read the book.

In their defense, the co-chairs were extremely kind and very uncomfortable and quick to point out that it is not their decision, but that of the international organization. We have to follow their rules in order to get a charter. I understand all that and am not holding anything against any one individual, yet this is still sticking in my craw. The funny thing was, I wasn't entirely sure taking on a a leadership position was a smart move in my life right now, with all my other responsibilities. But now it's just the principle of the thing. I have never before been told I can't serve in some capacity because of my religious beliefs.

What I don't get is what they are afraid I will do as a leader. Do they think I will somehow indoctrinate people using subliminal messages and convert the entire group to Mormonism? I see images of crates of copies of the Book of Mormon being forced upon my MOPS group, while I stand on a soapbox preaching the gospel. Someone please cue some stirring hymn like "We Are All Enlisted Til the Conflict is O'er."

Right now, I am vacillating between feeling rejected and angry and seeing this as completely asinine and laughable.....

7 comments:

Amy Jane said...

Oh my God. I am completely speechless. I was as blindsided by your post and you were by your meeting! Patty, this is so sick and wrong, and I am full of indignation on your behalf. It almost makes me wonder if I should boycott MOPS...

I just literally cannot believe this.

Betsy said...

I say you find another group that appriciates you for who you are and not what you believe. If I were a member I would be outraged. It seems people are often affraid of things they know nothing about. Start up your own group of protesters and I bet you could have a great group with even better ideas. More power to you!!!!

beckbot said...

Wow, patty. I admire that you could even write that post without turning it into a vicious rant. I'm seriously considering an anti-MOPS blog, or at least writing a letter. I just can't believe it. Would a Jewish mom be barred from this kind of participation? Or what about an agnostic? It is beyond ridiculous.

frazzledmomma said...

And there ya go. I was all revved up to say what Betsy said. I am LDS, but I'm more the "poster child for how NOT to be a mormon" variety. Even still. They are MOPS. And really.. I'm sure you could created a wonderful group of mothers, with a name who's initials don't remind me of lysol and the kitchen floor.....

Alison said...

Howdy! I stumbled across your post after doing a google search on Mormons and MOPS. I too was just excluded from being the director of crafts because I'm LDS. It's not like I was planning on making temples out of sugar cubes or what not. I just had to post a comment to commiserate with you even though it's been several years. :)
--Alison

Anonymous said...

A

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry that you feel you were rejected from MOPS but they consider themselves very much a Christian organization. They have a statement of faith that any leadership member must sign...if your faith diesnt align then they don't allow you serve as a leader(why is that so offensive)? I would not expect to serve as an elder at an LDS church because our beliefs are different. Are you welcome to attend regardless of faith or which church you affiliate with, yes! Are you accepted, 100%! It saddens me you are treating mops as hate filled women because they have requirements for leadership. I, as a Christian, understand I can't go into the temple because I am not a worthy Mormon and I accept that wholeheartedly. I know that Mormons consider themselves Christian but when your beliefs do not align(trinity for example) you become anti mops organization? That just doesn't make sense?! I wouldn't think you would want to sign the statement of faith saying you agree anyway because it would be contradictory to your individual faith??!