Sunday, April 6, 2008

Ah, Spring At Last!

We have been awaiting the arrival of Spring for months here at our house. Back in January, Danny insisted on taking out "The Easter Beagle" from the library and we were then subjected to weeks of the kids quoting Charlie Brown and the gang. One particular part of the movie is about Easter. Lucy says, "It's the gift giving season" and Linus counters, "No, it's not, it's a time of renewal. What's the matter with you? All you ever say is 'Gimmee, gimmee, gimmee, get, get, get.' " And Lucy answers, "That's called survival, baby!" (It cracks me up every time one of theme quotes that part...)

We have also been celebrating Easter for over a month. As soon as they went on sale, I bought a bag of plastic Easter eggs, planning on using them for an activity at Church. Instead, they were instantly comandeered by Danny and we have been staging Easter egg hunts for him ever since. He never gets tired of finding the eggs in unexpected places.

Maybe it is all this talk of Spring and Easter that has made this winter seem interminable to me. Or maybe winter has lasted longer than usual. Whatever the case, it sure has made us appreciate Spring more. We just spent this morning taking a 2-hour walk with the kids and had the best time. It is beautiful out: sunny and crisp, but not cold. I am so glad Spring has arrived. I hope it sticks around for a while!

3 comments:

Amy Jane said...

Amen, sister! :)

Glad to hear you had such a lovely, long walk - sounds nice!

How's the weight-loss going? Any new progress?

Anne said...

I think we will all appreciate spring more this year.

Amy Jane said...

Patty,

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you about your sugar question. To answer your question, I try to limit my sugar to 50 g per day (not exactly a lofty goal). Sometimes I do well, and others I have as many as 80 g! It's not really my focus, I'll admit. The idea of cutting back on sugar is nice, but I'm more concerned about calories, fat, fiber, and protein. I should also point out, I guess, that a lot of my sugar each day is natural sugar from fruit and dairy products. I know that you've been trying to cut back - how is that going? Have you lost any more weight? I've missed you!....