Friday, March 7, 2008

Austen-philia!


You probably all know this already, but I love Jane Austen. Her books are among my favorites and are also some of the only books I have read multiple times. I have seen most of the film adaptations of her books, even the quirky, sometimes misguided films that are set in modern times. I took a senior seminar on her works in college and have read biographies of her. If it is about Jane Austen, chances are, I will read or watch it with relish.


Which is why I was so surprised when I picked up my dog-eared copy of Pride and Prejudice the other day. I had decided to reread it; for some reason I was in an Austen mood. What surprised me was how genuinely entertained I was. I thought I would just read a few chapters and then move on to something less familiar, something more suspenseful, if just by virtue of the fact that I hadn't read it numerous times. But no, the book sucked me in as if I were reading it for the first time. I can't seem to put the thing down. I already know exactly what is going to happen next, yet, I can't wait to read all about it. I forgot how succinct and elegant Austen's prose is and how funny and acerbic her obervations. And of course, there are her characters: flawed, but irresistible, entertaining and realistic.

I think with all the movies and books based on Austen's novels, I forgot how inimitable her style is. I think I may reread all her books. At the very least, I will probably turn to Emma and Persuasion in the next few months. I want to reread and rediscover them, too.

2 comments:

Amy Jane said...

Patty,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I am so turned on by the fact that you use words like "succinct" and "acerbic." You are a goddess, and I'm so blessed to have you as a friend. I love Austen, too, but haven't read her in a long time. Maybe it's time I rediscover her, too. Maybe you should do an Austen novel as your next book club selection...

Julie said...

I just noticed "Jane Austen" in your list of tags, so I had to click on it. I love her books, too. Especially Pride & Prejudice! I've found it one of the most entertaining books over and over again. =)