Tuesday, February 26, 2008

sick days and the gender divide

I think I am going to file a complaint with the Labor Union. I woke up yesterday with a searing sore throat, swollen lymph glands and achy body, exactly the same symptoms that my loving husband had for three weeks. During those three weeks, he missed about 4 days of work, that was how miserable he was. He spent much of that time napping in various parts of the house: living room couch, family room couch, bed, bathtub. The rest of the time, he mostly sat on the couch groaning from the discomfort, while I futilely tried to keep the kids away from him.

Now the sweetheart has apparently infected yours truly. Not only am I not getting a sick day today, but I also get the sweet privilege of attending to my two sick children, who were also apparently infected. Danny seemed really lethargic and sick this morning, so I kept him home from school, but he is now feeling better, as his energy is returned in full force. So, he is spending much of his time entertaining himself by tormenting his poor sick sister.

Ahh, the joys of motherhood. I would so love to just veg on the couch with all 6 hours of the A&E version of Pride and Prejudice (this used to be my treatment of choice when I was sick before I had kids and actually did get sick days) and a vanilla shake to cool my aching throat. Instead, I am refereeing two crabby kids and trying to muster the energy to keep them entertained without the help of an electronic device. All the while, I am envying my husband who is fully recovered and back at work where he gets an hour off for lunch and where I doubt he is ever called upon to shout at a co-worker, "Hey, quit smothering your sister in your blanket!!! Be nice!"

Well, I better go take my next dosage of decongestant and see what the kids are up to. It is ominously quiet in the family room, which never bodes well.

2 comments:

Amy Jane said...

Patty,

Oh, you sound so miserable! I'm so sorry that you have all been afflicted by this insidious malady. Please try to take any time that you can to lie down and rest, and don't feel guilty about parking the kids in front of the TV - desperate times call for desperate measures! I hope you feel better very soon. Man, this winter really stinks! :)

On a happier note, I'm so excited for you that you're going to school for your certification! You sound giddy about it, and your happiness is infectious. I know you'll do brilliantly and breeze right through.

I did an hour-long strength-training class today during which we focused almost entirely on arms. This means that by Thursday, I won't be able to feed myself or wipe my butt. :)

beckbot said...

I am so sorry! We just got over the 2-3 week coughing virus, but thankfully we didn't have fevers and the kids didn't miss any school. I'm with Amy on this one" when I'm really sick it's video day, every day, until I'm better. And also cold cereal day and/or Domino's Pizza day. My kids think it's the greatest.

BTW, I've been steamed about no sick days for Mommies for some time now. Shouldn't that be built in to my husband's benefits somehow?