Thursday, January 3, 2008

school's back in session!

Can I just say how excited I am to send my oldest to school tomorrow? I am slightly ashamed to admit that I have been counting down the hours until the end of Christmas break. I wonder if this was how my mother felt. Though she would never admit it, she must have. I mean, she had FOUR kids, for Pete's sake. And I know we fought like cats and dogs. I have the scars to prove it.

Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed most of our Christmas break. It was a lot of fun to watch the kids open and play with their Christmas presents. It was even fun to hear Danny beg to open the presents before Christmas (though that did get a bit wearing after the 756th request). Every time he would say, "Hey mommy, I have a secret. (Pause) I want to open my birthday presents." I enjoyed taking the kids to see the Christmas lights and watching them play with their dad. I especially enjoyed witnessing the birth of a new family game, the Zoo Train, where Danny takes the nice white comforter off my bed, fills it with every stuffed animal in the house (of which there are many, believe me) jumps in and demands to be dragged around the house with his sister. Periodically we are to transform the train into a helicopter by picking up the very heavy load of kids and animals and swing them onto our bed while listening to the sweet sound of the kids' laughter. (Bil had a backache most of the week).

What I didn't love so much was the frequent squabbling between the kids over EVERYTHING from the Snoopy Sno-Cone machine (one of the more popular gifts this year) to a balloon with a hole in it. I also could have lived without Danny's temper tantrum one Saturday morning when I made a grave error. When Danny woke up, I told him I had a surprise. He got really excited until he realized the surprise was that Daddy was home and ready to play with him. Danny honestly flipped out and begged for a real surprise (read: toy) for about an hour. I think Bil finally distracted him with more Snoopy Sno-Cones.

I think things would have gone better for us had the weather not turned so ugly. I don't think it has reached 20 degrees in days. There are only so many times I can take the kids to the library in one week. So, I will be glad for a bit of peace and quiet and the opportunity to get more done with the house. I have felt like I was living in a war zone this week. I am also looking forward to watching little Charlotte realize that no one will steal her toys all morning. It is amazing how she knows this instinctively and always goes for Danny's favorite toys while he is at school.

1 comment:

beckbot said...

I can relate, sister! So loving the warm family togetherness and so sick of the bickering family togetherness. I love the Zoo Train. That's hysterical!