Tuesday, December 4, 2007

radioactive material--yikes!


So, this morning I have ingested some radioactive material. The breakfast of champions! I went to the hospital bright and early for a thyroid scan, which involves taking a radioactive iodine pill. Later, I will return to the hospital and they will give me an x-ray to see what my thyroid has done with all the iodine. Apparently, my thyroid is overactive (glad to know some part of me is still an overacheiver) which may be why I am losing my hair.


Modern medicine is amazing, but it is a bit scary to walk into a room with radioactive material warnings all over it. Even more disconcerting is knowing you will be ingesting said radioactive material. I tried not to think too much about it as I swallowed the pill (which incidentally I was warned not to touch. Another scary sign), but now I keep wondering what it is doing inside of me. I wonder if my internal organs are glowing.......

1 comment:

Amy Jane said...

Yikes! That IS kind of scary, but I guess they know what they're doing. Please let me know when you get the results. BTW, you're very smart to scale back your Christmas stuff. We're not going to any big parties, either, as that is NOT my cup o' tea. And, like Danny, Nick gets crazy in situations like that. Heck, Nick goes crazy if we have one person over to the house! :)