Wednesday, December 12, 2007

good intentions


Why do I always think I can handle as much as a normal person? I just went for my second meals on wheels run today and it did not go well. A group of women at church recruited me to be on their MOW route, and I thought it would be a great way to do a bit of community service. As there are 5 of us, we each only have to do the route once every 5 weeks. It takes about an hour and a half and is pretty simple...for the average person. Unfortunately, I seem to have problems with "simple" tasks.

It started out well enough. The woman in charge forgot to give me a tray to carry the food, but I didn't think it would be a big deal. I was flying through the stops and was really rather pleased with myself. This time Charlotte wasn't crying at each and every stop as she did previously, and I rememered where most of the houses were. Things started getting dicey, though, when I got to the big apartment complex on the list where there are 4 people who get food. I had to take Charlotte in with me and that is when she decided to start crying inexplicably. I had to take this writhing, yelping child into the elevator and leave her crying in the hall as I dashed into apartment after apartment with an armload of food (that I kept dropping, of course, because I had no tray.)

This is also the point where I realized that I was supposed to be giving each stop a piece of cake along with their ice cream. The ice cream and cake were both in styrofoam containers in the cooler with the milk and they looked alike. In my rush to get things done, I never noticed that there were containers of cake AND ice cream. So, I now had 6 extra containers of cake and I was not about to retrace my steps and give out the forgotten cake with a screaming 2-year-old. It had already taken me the better part of an hour to get that part of the route done and I just knew my nerves couldn't handle going back. Call me lazy, but you try concentrating with my daughter screeching in your ear. It was not one of my finer moments. I was cursing in my head and frantically wondering what I would do with all this extra cake. I had a brief, frenzied thought of stuffing the evidence down my throat, but figured with my luck, I would choke on the cake.

So, I did what I saw as my only option. I gave the rest of my stops 2 pieces of cake along with their ice cream. Now I am wondering what I will do if somehow the director finds out that half of my route never received their cake...... Why do I feel often as if I am living through an "I Love Lucy" episode?

1 comment:

Amy Jane said...

Patty, honey, I'll say it again: Pare down! Love you. :) I do applaud you for doing MOW, but I think you are trying to do too much. Take a deep breath and quit beating yourself up about the cake - it's no big whoop! Cake is a frivolous luxury that no one actually NEEDS, so you didn't do anyone a grave disservice. What they don't know won't hurt them. And I do applaud your restraint - I totally would have eaten it all myself. :)