Wednesday, November 21, 2007

baking


I am taking a much needed break from my holiday baking. We are going to Chicago for Thanksgiving tomorrow and my sister asked that I bring the desserts. She has requested a peanut butter, hot fudge cheesecake, and I am also bringing a puppy dog cake (we are celebrating Charlotte's birthday). I also made a batch of pecan cups for my brother, and I am now officially burnt out on sweets. Even the smell of the cheesecake cooking right now is slightly nauseating to me. OK, well, it probably didn't help that I ate a few too many of the pecan cups. Blech!!

This has only strengthened my resolve to not make Christmas cookies this year. It is not something I think I can handle. The problem is, once I get started on making cookies, I get a little out of hand. The list of people who will be receiving my cookies grows and grows to include everyone from the librarians who are so nice to the kids, to just about everyone at church, and I start getting a bit obsessive. It never fails. Just ask Bil. Every year, he watches me in horror as I spiral out of control. He pleads with me to scale back, but I never heed his warnings. I start out having maybe 3 or 4 different kinds of cookies or candy to make and then keep adding to that list as well. I realize that most of the cookies have chocolate in them, so I should definitely make a kind that has no chocolate. Then, I remember the caramel truffles, which I decide I just HAVE to make. And then there are the sweets that you only ever make at Christmas, so those have to be made as well. My freezer ends up being filled with dozens and dozens of cookies.

And of course, all along the way, I sample. Last year, I had a particularly ugly incident with the caramel truffles. I ate so many in one sitting that my heart started racing and I was totally sick. I had to sleep it off. That was the closest to a hangover I have come in about 16 years. How scary is that?

I wonder if they have support groups for people like me. I am not even sure what it is I am addicted to. I know part of it is the sugar, but there has to be more to it than that. I think another part is that I like making things for people. And I do really connect food with the holidays and I think that I need to make them to make it a special holiday for my family. Then, of course, there is that insecure part of me that wants to impress others, which is probably where the impulse to make 7 varieties of sweets really comes from. Have you ever seen the episode of "Friends" where Monica makes Christmas candy for practically everyone in New York? That is exactly how I am. Scary, huh?

So, I will have to be strong this year and resist the urge to bake. I think cold turkey is the only way to go for me. I will miss it, but wow, think of all the other things I can get done in the hours and hours I normally spend baking! (Not to mention the hours I spend sleeping off the caramel truffles.)

2 comments:

Amy Jane said...

Patty,

That post was so funny! You know, I used to make lots of Xmas cookies, but the past few years, I have pretty much made none. Part of the reason is that I'm trying to save myself from gorging - cookies are my biggest weakness. In fact, I could kill my neighbor, because she just gave me a big tin full of delectable cookies. I'm ashamed to admit that I have porked them down in the space of 2 days. I just simply can't resist! I wonder if she's trying to sabotage my weight-loss so that she can remain hotter than me. ;) I think that I might skip the weigh-in this week, because between the cookies and tomorrow, it's not going to be pretty! Ack. I might make one kind of cookie this Christmas, because I came across a really easy, interesting recipe for citrus cookies, and one doesn't come across citrus cookies that much at Christmas, so they seem different and refreshing.

BTW, I had a Snoopy Sno-Cone maker as a child, and I loved it! I have quite fond memories of that thing. I might get Nick one when he's a smidge older. He's still too spazzy. :)

beckbot said...

patty,
I hear you on the the cookie-making overload. Once you start making the list of recipients, it doesn't take long for the whole thing to mushroom out of control. I've found a happy medium: several batches of ONE fairly simple cookie (sliced refrigerator cookie, gingersnap, etc) and then many things dipped in chocolate or almond bark (oreos, animal crackers, pretzels, etc). The kids help with it, we throw some crushed peppermint or sprinkles on top, and call it good. Pretty cheap, too. This year I'm thinking about breads instead. Or salsa, just to mix it up.