Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Joy of Housecleaning


For anyone in doubt, the title is completely facetious. I do not enjoy cleaning, though I do enjoy the fruits of my labors. It is so nice to have a clean, organized house. Unfortunately for me, that is always a fleeting experience. I just finished mopping the floor and the kids are in bed. That means for the next 12 hours or so, the kitchen and bathroom floors will actually stay clean. Once the kids have woken up tomorrow morning, all bets are off. It is a truth universally acknowledged (at least among moms) that a child will always spill on a clean floor. My floor could be dirty and no one would spill a single drop for days, but as soon as I mop, it is almost as if another force--one even stronger than gravity--is working and the kids are powerless to avoid spilling everything. It is quite frustrating, but you learn to live with it.

I just noticed this week that my fridge is leaking water. I have no idea what that means, but I assume it is not a good thing. While we definitely could do without the expense of a new refrigerator, I was actually disappointed when my husband said he could probably fix it. And do you want to know my pathetic reason? Actually, sadly the reason is if we bought a new refrigerator, there would be no need to clean out the old one. I am actually tempted to spend the hundreds of dollars just so I can have a beautiful, immaculate fridge with no spills. I think I need a vacation. Or therapy.

1 comment:

beckbot said...

I'll add a corollary to the spill on a freshly mopped floor axiom. A clean bathroom will ALWAYS, ALWAYS prompt my husband to cut his hair--his bristly black hair-- and leave little tufts around. It's uncanny, really.
I love a clean house, too. I've always yearned for one of those Pottery Barn-type looks; clean and uncluttered... basically un-lived in, I guess. Today I had 15 minutes before I had to leave the house and I actually chose mopping the floor over washing my hair. Pretty screwed up, eh? I'd rather throw my greasy hair back in a headband than leave the house with a sticky floor. Sick.