Friday, September 28, 2007

The Hills are Alive With the Sound of Rejoicing!!!


I am so happy, I want to sing it from the mountaintops!!! We had Danny tested today and have gotten all our questions answered. Best of all, he does not have an autism spectrum disorder. I cannot tell you how elated I feel. Dr. Richards explained a lot of his behavior to us and helped us understand what is going on. Basically, he has a global developmental delay (she also called it a brain maturation lag) which means he is delayed in more than one area. She thinks along with his auditory processing disorder, he also has a visual processing disorder, so we will be having him tested for that. She said a famous doctor has studied this disorder and found that almost all kids with this problem really start to improve around 3 years old. She is confident that within two years, he will have overcome his delay.

It is all very complicated and we have much work to do to help Danny improve, but now we know that he WILL improve. And, on top of that, all the therapy he has been getting was exactly the right course to take. Dr. Richards told us time and again that we were doing the right things for Danny, that our instincts were right, that as unorthodox as some of our methods are (have I mentioned that Danny sleeps in a 3-man tent? He hasn't slept in a bed in months...), these techniques were just what he needed. Talk about validation. So, as I said, there is still much work and therapy to be done, but I have been rejuvenated. Somehow the idea of more therapy no longer fills me with weariness.

Well, I should quit rambling. I need to figure out how to rig up a ball pit for Danny. I have to admit, most of the equipment we buy for Danny's therapy is really a lot of fun. It has made our family room into a bit of an oddity (we have a net swing hanging from our ceiling, a mini trampoline, and soon a ball pit), but we were never going to be featured in "Better Homes and Gardens" anyway.

2 comments:

Amy Jane said...

Oh, my God, Patty! I am so happy for you right now that I have a huge grin on my face. I know how worried you have been about this assessment, and how unsure you've been about everything, and it must be totally amazing to feel so comforted, validated, and HOPEFUL! Didn't I tell you that Danny would be fine? He will!!! And so will you. Yay! I wish I were there right now so that I could give you a big, fat hug. BTW, all you need for a ball pit is a plastic kiddie pool and a bag of balls, which can be found at WalMart and the like. The only problem might be finding said kiddie pool at the end of September. Let me know how it goes. HAPPINESS!!!

beckbot said...

YAY Patty!!!This is some of the best news I've heard in a long time. What a giant relief and validation. I'm so glad. Let me know if you want me to scout around for a kiddie pool; they may still have some here (it IS 89 degrees outside).