Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Obsession


Lately, I seem to be inundated with weight loss information. I know it comes with the territory when you join Weight Watchers, but I am noticing it everywhere; magazines, videos, a large percentage of conversations among women that I overhear or am part of. I have many friends right now who are trying to lose weight and of course, we talk about it. A lot. I know it is important to be healthy and fit. I have worked really hard over the last year and a half to lose the weight that I have, and I still have more to lose. The problem is, sometimes I feel like it becomes an obsession. I think about it all the time. When I am about to eat, I plan out my menu; after I have eaten, I either feel proud of myself or guilty, depending on what I have eaten. I am just so sick of thinking about food all the time. I wish it didn't have such a hold over me. I wish I could just naturally eat a healthy, balanced diet, not to mention eat only when I am hungry instead of when I am lonely, bored, or stressed.


Not too long ago, I read an article by Eve Ensler, who stressed that if women spent as much time and energy thinking about some world problem and how to fix it as we do about our weight and bodies, the world would be an amazingly better place. How true, how true. I think I am going to try to make that my goal: Focus on making the world a better place, even in my own small way....

2 comments:

Amy Jane said...

Amen, sisterchick! I so hear you. I'm only 7 weeks into this weight-loss thing, and I ALREADY feel the same way. I'm actually kind of disheartened to learn that you still feel like that after you've been doing it for so long - I was kind of holding out hope that it would get easier. I'm so sick of thinking about what I should and shouldn't eat, how much I should eat, counting calories, etc. It sort of sucks all the joy out of life, in a way. Harrumph. I just had to commiserate with you...

beckbot said...

I so agree. I keep noticing in the checkout line all of these horrible magazines with some super sugary double chocolate cherry towering dessert on the cover... and one of the teasers is ALWAYS "Diet Miracle! Lose a Pound a Day!" It's insane.